GE Fanuc 90-30 Basic (stupid) Question

smutza

I am fairly new to GE Fanuc 90-30 PLC’s. I have 18 PLC units all connected on a network. I have very little communication between my various PLC’s. Most of my remote communication is to our Wonderware system. I understand how to communicate back and forth between the PLC and Wonderware. The problem I have is understanding how to communicate between the various PLC units. For example, I receive an input on one of my PLC (named SCCH2) I want to see that input on a different PLC (named SCCB) so I continue my logic in the SCCB PLC. I know it has something to do with a “G” point. (I points are inputs, Q points are outputs and M points are internal relays) What I am not sure of is how to tie the two “G” points in the two PLC’s together so when the “G” point in SCCH2 is high, it will be seen as high in SCCB. I know that I am missing something simple and obvious, but any help anyone can give would be appreciated. Any starting point would help. By the way, I am using LogicMaster 90 to program my PLC's Thank you in advance

I know you can define global data for use on ethernet,, but I'm not sure if that works with the SNP serial protocol. We have always configured message blocks for communicating specific data to networked 90/30 PLCs.

Before I can answer your question on how to pass data back and forth between the PLCs on the network, I need to know what type of network you have.

For the type of system you're describing, it could be ethernet, which would require configuring channels on your ethernet modules (IC693CMM321). It could also be a Genius network, which is a proprietary GE network. In that case, I'll need to know whether you're using a Genius Communications Module (IC693CMM302) or a Genius Bus Controller (IC693BEM331).

If you use Logicmaster software to make a backup copies of the files for a couple of the PLCs and post them here, I can probably help to steer you in the right direction.

My PLC network uses 1C693CPU364 CPU units, which have a built in ethernet. The network is an ethernet system. I am fairly sure that to do what I want to do, I must use "G" points and somehow configure them to transmit to the receiving PLC and configure the receiving PLC to receive the data. I am just not sure how to do this and the online manuals I can find don't explain it enough for me to figure it out. I don't have a lot of time today, so this reply is fairly short. In the next few days, as I have time, I will do some more research and get back to this form. Thank you for you replys. I can see I have a lot to learn. The basic ladder logic and am fine with. I can also communicate with the Wonderware system okay. We also have Horner Modules we are really just using for remote I/O and I have figured them out enough to do what I need to , but still don't fully understand that part. We have zero training budget and I am left to figure out things as I go.

There are system requests dedicated specifically to ethernet communications. What I have done in the past is to dedicate a memory area in each PLC for data to be transferred. Then use the Sysreq to read data in the remote PLC and move it to another memory block in the local (or reading) PLC. In other words;

PLC A reads %R1000 to %R1100 from PLC B and stores it locally in
%R1500 to %R1600
PLC B reads %R1000 to %R1100 from PLC A and stores it locally in
%R1500 to %R1600

The processor in PLC A can then use the data in its own %R1500 to
%R1600 for its own program. Likewise for PLC B's processor. This is transparent to any SCADA software which might be running on the network.

I've used Ethernet Global Data (EGD) for this type of exchange, but I'm pretty sure you need to configure the hardware with VersaPro for this to work, as Chapter 5 of TCP/IP Ethernet Communications for the Series 90 PLC here says:

"Ethernet Global Data is configured using Windows-based PLC programming software"

You should be able to get a demo version of VersaPro from your GE Fanuc rep that will function for 4 days to do this if you want. It's pretty easy. Follow the directions in the manual. Make sure you keep track of the exchange number. The exchange number in each PLC's EGD configuration must be the same for the exchange taking place. For example:

You want PLC 1 to send PLC 2 a block of global register variables. There is 1 EGD exchange already configured in PLC 1 with another PLC that uses Exchange ID 1. There are no exchanges in PLC 2 yet. Configure PLC 1 to act as a producer using Exchange ID 2; configure PLC 2 as a consumer with Exchange ID 2. The exchange numbers must match in both producer and consumer, even though this is the first exchange for PLC 2! Now Exchange ID 2 will send the data from the global registers selected in PLC 1 to PLC 2 and it will end up in the registers specified in the consumer exchange definition.

By the way, this does not have to be a %G point. I've done it mapping %AI to %R, with the registers configured as global, not local, variables in the Variable Declaration Table. It does have to be a register, though. Individual binary bits are not allowed, though you can send an array of bits.

Let me know if you try this and still have trouble with it.

I don't have anything to add to what rytko said except to ask:

Has the global data transfer ever worked? Did someone else configure the system for EGD, but you've never been able to make it work? Or are you starting from scratch?

If the original designer of the system set it up for EGD, there should be information in the hardware configuration for each of the PLCs about the source and destination of the global data.

PC to PLC cable?

I found the SNP adaptor. Now I want ot know if rs 232 cable is straight pins or is pin 2 and 3 cross over on rs232 cable between pc and SNP adaptor? This a female to female cable.
thanks

In any GE Fanuc PLC system running CPU364 and up processors with a network connection, EGD is the easiest and most efficient way of moving data around.

First you have to do a few things to prepare yourself. 1. You must be running at least VersaPro software, Proficy Machine Edition is preferred. 2. Read the help files section on EGD to become familiar with Ethernet Global Data. 3. Decide what you want to share and with which PLC(s) you want to share it with. Write it down on paper, like a map.

For scenario purposes, lets say I have PLCA and PLCB. PLCA has 3 Inputs I need on PLCB, %I0001, %I0003 and %I0007. I can't setup a transfer with individual bits, but I can transfer them 8 bits at a time. First at PLCA I create a PRODUCED EGD Exchange with the proper settings (help files) for sending to PLCB, this is exchange ID #1. In that exchange I insert a line with starting address of %I0001, length of 8 bits. Remember, everything has to be on a byte boundary. Once completed, I download to the processor.

Next I go to PLCB and create a CONSUMED exchange with the same ID number. I then insert a line to map the data. If PLCB already has inputs %I0001 thru 8 assigned into it, the EGD data can't go into that memory area. Let's set the starting address as %M2001, length of 8.

Save and download the PLCB processor. If you have configured everything properly, status from the 3 %I inputs from PLCA should be reflected in PLCB %M2001, %M2003 and %M2007. Now you can use these bits where ever needed in your program.

It can be a daunting task to get your head wrapped around EGD the first time but once it clicks, this is one of the easiest ways of sharing data.

Keep in mind on the Series 90 family of PLC's, EGD can't be stored in run mode. You will have to stop the processor to download.

I do this on a daily basis, if you need more help, PM me.

communication with plc?

I am trying to download program to plc but it looks like I can not talk to plc.I get a message "offline cannot transfer"
Can you tell me what is causing this? Or pointers where to start? Thanks
Wynand

Is this related to the problem you're having in the other thread?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=48166

I'm going to assume it is and you posted here by mistake. Why else revive a six year old thread with a question totally unrelated to the original question. rkicklighter's response relates to the original question, not to your issue.

On to your problem. To answer your first question, the cable between the PC and the RS232/RS485 adapter is straight through, Pin 1 to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2, etc.

Once you've connected the cable and started the programming software, the details of how to go online with the PLC depend on the software. What are you using? From the apparent age of your system, I'd guess it's Logicmaster 90. Please confirm that before I or anyone else tries to walk you through the steps to establish a connection. Logicmaster will attempt to open communications when it launches. Usually that will be on serial port COM1 at 19200 baud, Odd parity, but taht can be changed. If your software is VersaPro there is a different set of steps and Proficy Machine Edition differs from VersaPro.

Yes you right

Everything is as you say below but if I press CTRL M for online I get message "no communications". I allready replaced damaged i/p module and tried to replace CPU but still same.What do you think can it be? I do use Logicmaster 90and baud rate is ok.
thanks
Is this related to the problem you're having in the other thread?

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=48166

I'm going to assume it is and you posted here by mistake. Why else revive a six year old thread with a question totally unrelated to the original question. rkicklighter's response relates to the original question, not to your issue.

On to your problem. To answer your first question, the cable between the PC and the RS232/RS485 adapter is straight through, Pin 1 to Pin 1, Pin 2 to Pin 2, etc.

Once you've connected the cable and started the programming software, the details of how to go online with the PLC depend on the software. What are you using? From the apparent age of your system, I'd guess it's Logicmaster 90. Please confirm that before I or anyone else tries to walk you through the steps to establish a connection. Logicmaster will attempt to open communications when it launches. Usually that will be on serial port COM1 at 19200 baud, Odd parity, but taht can be changed. If your software is VersaPro there is a different set of steps and Proficy Machine Edition differs from VersaPro.

Is there anything else running on your computer that could be using COM1? Allen Bradley's RSLinx is notorious for retaining control over the port even when you're not running RSLogix.

Is Logicmaster trying to communicate over COM1? When you first start Logicmaster (before opening programming or configuration), hit F9 (Setup), then F4 (comm) to see if "Serial Port" is selected in the "Communication Device" field. If it is, then go back and launch either programming or configuration and once you've selected a file, hit F7 (setup), then F4 (comset) and make sure Logicmaster is trying to communicate through COM1 at 19200, Odd, 1 stop bit.

It would probably be a good idea to use the serial port on your computer to communivcate with something other than the PLC to make sure the port is functional.

?

I did checked as per your request. All ok but if I lauch programming I get message " wsil130 error: could not load windows nt driver file c:\winnt\system32\snpwnt30.dll
plc communication is not available"
What do you think I can do?