Triac Output Card

plcengineer

Gents,

I have a 1771-OAD card and it is bleeding voltage causing my relays to come on when I didn't turn them on.. I installed a 250 ohm resistor and it seemed to work fine but it got very hot.. It was 2Watt but I think I may need 10 Watts or so.. Is there an RC package that I can buy from Rockwell to do what I need? Any help would be appreciated..

Thanks,

This is interesting. Is this hooked up to a normal relay or a solid state relay? A regular relay should work fine as a load for a triac. Also a 250 ohm resistor is more than enough load to "turn off" a triac.

Something else must be wrong here, could you post a schematic.

All triacs bleed a small amount of voltage when the load is totally disconnected. Your triac on that output is probably bad if it requires a 250 ohm resistor to turn it off. 250 ohms with 120v applied = about 60 watts load, 27000 ohms would = about .5 watts with 120 volts applied. If you have no other choice, use a 25watt lamp instead of a resistor.