GE Ethernet LAN Internal Status (LIS) bits Issues

BSkyler

Hi. I hope you guys can help me to resolve the issue as stated below. I have already emailed the GE Tech Support regarding this but after a week and series of follow-ups, still no recommendations from them.

Issue Overview: The LAN Internal Status (LIS) Bits are all reset to zero after Power Restart or startup.

Issue Details:
I am using a GE RX3i CPU IC695CPE305 along with the Ethernet Module IC695ETM001. We need to monitor the Ports connectivity from the Ethernet module and be displayed on our OIT and so I use the LIS (or LAN Internal Status) bits particularly the status bits 2 and 4 for Port 1A and 1B (100Mbps), respectively.

During our test, we were able to get the indication correct as we remove the Ethernet connections from their respective ports. But the problem arise when we tried to restart the whole Control Panel. We didn't get the proper status indication after the power restart even though we are connected to the Ethernet. And we noticed thru our Modscan software(BIt monitoring) that all the LIS bits were reset to zero and weren't able to do auto restart as we power up the Control panel. This is considering that we are physically connected to the Ethernet. In addition, we also need to Stop and Reload the PLC program every power up in order for these LIS bits to be normally indicating.

I've seen from the GE manual that their module has a Restart button and that through a software called Station Manager, we can command the Ethernet Module to Restart without pressing the previously mentioned button. But either option we and the client do not prefer.

Any suggestions, recommendations from you guys would be much appreciated. Thanks in advance!

Check the CPU parameters regulating Power up use of Flash memory.
It sounds like you may be over writing the hardware configuration on power up.
Also be sure that all modules have the latest firmware installed.
Let us know if you need help locating any of this.
Firmware can be found here: By searching the appropriate part number.

Thanks for your reply RussB.
I am currently working the issue out with the GE Tech Support, but to date, still unresolved. Are there any other possibilities known to you that could have triggered the issue? Please let me know.

I have attached a file that shows the CPU settings. Is there anything from the settings that you think can cause the issue?

Btw, the firmwares are updated.

Again, Thank you.

6-13-2013 2-34-18 PM.png

Maybe as a work-around you can use SVC_REQ 24 (Reset Smart Module or Daughter Board) a second or so after power-up to reset one or both of the Ethernet ports. This should be the same as pushing the reset button. It would be transparent and just delay start up slightly.

Thanks Russ for the suggestion. I've already tried to incorporate the SVC_REQ 24 function to my PLC ladder prog before but was not able to correct the issue.

Though right now, we already have this issue cleared and would like to share how we did it for the benefit of those who will encounter the same issue in the future.

As per the information given by the GE Tech Support, I found out that it is because CPE305/CPE310 requires Energy Pack to be able to hold the data stored from RAM at power-up. Another option is to install a CompactFlashCard and have some CPU parameters be configured (as stated below) but this has limitations. The GE Tech Support states that, and I quote.

"Using CPE305(or CPE310) without Energy Pack will result in RAM memory to be wiped out every time your power cycle it. With your configuration being set to Load from RAM at power-up, it means all memory locations will be zeroed and you'll have to download project every time...

In such situation, options are to install an Energy Pack or change CPE configuration to Load from Flash and set Power-up mode to RUN. Of course, you'll have to make sure you check the checkbox for "Write ALL items to Flash memory" at time of download.

Loading data from Flash at power-up, though, means values that were changed during operation will revert back to values that were written to flash during download which may not be suitable for your application. If that's the case, installing and Energy Pack would be the best option."

"""""""""""""""""""""""end of quote.

Thanks for your replies.

"Using CPE305(or CPE310) without Energy Pack will result in RAM memory to be wiped out every time your power cycle it. With your configuration being set to Load from RAM at power-up, it means all memory locations will be zeroed and you'll have to download project every time...

In such situation, options are to install an Energy Pack or change CPE configuration to Load from Flash and set Power-up mode to RUN. Of course, you'll have to make sure you check the checkbox for "Write ALL items to Flash memory" at time of download.

This is in the Manual and basic to the point that it is not routinely asked when troubleshooting from afar.
Sorry 'bout that.
Because the Energy Pack comes with the CPE05 and CPE10 it is generally "Assumed" they are used. :oops:

"Loading data from Flash at power-up, though, means values that were changed during operation will revert back to values that were written to flash during download which may not be suitable for your application. If that's the case, installing and Energy Pack would be the best option."

Or you can update critical information within Logic by using Service Request 57 "Logic Driven Write to Nonvolatile Storage" (Online help has details.)