Replace PanelView 1000?

wendaiyu

Hi, guys, how r u?

One PanelView 1000 is defective on our production line, so replaced it and downloaded the program with PanelBuilder32. Then we are looking for spare one on website, there are some questions:

1, Is the PanelView 1000 with the same CAT, but different SER, REV and/or FRN OK?

2, can we transfer PanelBuilder32 configuration/project to FactoryTalk View version? Because it is much better and easier to use a PanelView Plus.

3, can we download the configuration/project to the PanelView or PanelView Plus with different panel size?

Thanks for your time.

Hi, guys, how r u?

One PanelView 1000 is defective on our production line, so replaced it and downloaded the program with PanelBuilder32. Then we are looking for spare one on website, there are some questions:

1, Is the PanelView 1000 with the same CAT, but different SER, REV and/or FRN OK?

Usually. In Panelbuilder32, you can select the correct FRN range for your target device. I recommend you do a Save As... with a different file name before changing anything. Then select the FRN value that matches the intended target. Verify the application and see if you get any errors. If the replacement HMI is a higher value than the old one, you should be fine. If it is a lower value, then success may depend on whether your application uses any features not available in the older (lower) FRN. Panelbuilder is pretty good at providing warnings and errors for you to review and fix when you do a conversion.

wendaiyu said:
2, can we transfer PanelBuilder32 configuration/project to FactoryTalk View version? Because it is much better and easier to use a PanelView Plus.

Usually. Factory Talk Studio Machine Edition is the software you would use to create the new runtime file for a Panelview plus. In FT Studio, when you create a new application, there is a provision to import a Panelbuilder32 file. Most things that are done in a straightforward manner come across just fine, but there are caveats. I believe that Rockwell has published a migration guide just for your type of situation and it will cover almost every thing you need to do to prepare for this. Some object types have changed, the numbering of certain types of alarm values are different and a hand full of other things may have to be reworked after the import. Also, if your old HMI uses DH485 or DH+ for communication to a PLC network, there may be problems getting new hardware to support it.

wendaiyu said:
3, can we download the configuration/project to the PanelView or PanelView Plus with different panel size?

Usually. Again, do a Save As... in Panelbuilder32, and then see what happens when you choose a different target hardware and firmware. You could import it into FT Studio first, then try to change the target device. I have not enough experience at this to know which package offers the best size conversion. I suspect you may be better off changing sizes after you import the app into FT View since the Panelview Plus has fewer restrictions on touch cell locations than the older software and standard hardware. That would mean that rescaling things to fit a different size screen should be smoother than with PB32.

Once you get the application into Factory Talk Studio for Machine Edition, it is usually simple to select from 7" to 15" without too much hassle. Going smaller than a Panelview Plus 700 changes the resolution and may mean much more work getting things to fit.

I don't have software or links to manuals in front of me right now, but those are the generalities. I wish I could give you a more firm answer than "usually". Also, you are best served with Panelview questions if you post the complete part numbers for your hardware since that will tell us exactly what type of HMI and communications are involved.

Paul

EDIT: http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/ap/2711p-ap001_-en-p.pdf

Last edited:
1. Not sure I understand the question.
2. Yes you can import the app. But you can run into a problem if they used a lot of bit arrays not starting at bit 0. Just have to move them to their own word and modify the PLC.
3. Yes, but you will have to fix a lot of the fonts.