Communication between PanelView 1000 and SLC 5/04

RP

R
I am trying to use a Panel View 1000 to control a SLC 5/04 controller.I hooked up a RS 232 cable from the PC to the PV 1000, and a DH+ cable from the PV 1000 to the SLC 5/04. But I get an error when I try to transfer my program from PB32 to the PV 1000. It gives me "Error 208 Unable to write on remote device". Do you know why? I know it's a communication problem, I think the PV is not able to communicate with the SLC 5/04. Are my connections right and what about between the PC and the SLC 5/04 do I need to hook up anything?
Also I am not able to

Thanks again

A PanelView 1000 equipped with DH+ also has an RS-232 serial port, but there are two possible pitfalls to using that port for upload/download of PanelView projects.

The RS-232 port can be configured for upload/download OR for printing. That configuration does not change just because the terminal goes to Configuration Mode. You will want to navigate to the Serial Port configuration dialog in Configuration Mode and make sure that the port is not set for Printer.

The RS-232 port is configured as a "DCE" type, not a "DTE" type like your computer or an SLC-5/0x serial port. Therefore, you must use a straight-through serial cable to connect to a PanelView serial port, not the 1747-CP3 or similar "null-modem" cables.

Once you are sure that you have the serial port and serial cable set up correctly, go to RSLinx software and use the Autoconfigure function of the DF1 Full Duplex driver to find the port settings of the PanelView.

After these steps, PanelBuilder software will be able to download a project to the PanelView terminal.

You can connect directly from your PC to the download port of the PV1000 with the proper cable. You can also download via DH+ using RSLinx. To do this you need a PCMK card in your PC and the correct cable. Is the RS232 cable you have a null modem type or did you buy it from AB?

THe RS 232 cable that I have is connected to a null modem adapter that is plugged into the printer port of the PV 1000. It came from AB. So do I need to take the "null modem adapter" off and connect directly?

RP, you may want to re-read this part... đź““

Ken Roach said:
The RS-232 port can be configured for upload/download OR for printing. That configuration does not change just because the terminal goes to Configuration Mode. You will want to navigate to the Serial Port configuration dialog in Configuration Mode and make sure that the port is not set for Printer.

The RS-232 port is configured as a "DCE" type, not a "DTE" type like your computer or an SLC-5/0x serial port. Therefore, you must use a straight-through serial cable to connect to a PanelView serial port, not the 1747-CP3 or similar "null-modem" cables.

beerchug

-Eric

If your cable is already a "null modem" cable, then adding another "null modem" adapter would change it's pinout to the same as a "straight through" cable.

The cable being "from A-B" doesn't tell me what part number it is and therefore doesn't tell me what it's pinout is.

If the cable is a 1747-CP3 or 1756-CP3 cable, it does require an additional null modem adapter to download to the PanelView.

If the cable is a 2711-NC13 or 2711-NC14 cable, it does not require an additional null modem adapter to download to the PanelView.

Did you verify that the PanelView's RS-232 serial port is configured for "Printing Disabled" ?

I am using a 1747 CP3 SER A cable and a null modem adapter. The printer on the PV 1000 is disabled. I still don't get anything.

If it's not the cables, then it's....

When you do the download in PB32, I assume you are using transfer type "DF1 Point-to-Point -- Internal COM1"

Did you check the baud rate, etc, of that transfer type (pressing the Setup button in the dialog box) so that they match the PV?

Is there anything else running in Windows that might be using COM1, such as RSLinx (especially the PIC driver, which replaces the regular COM1 driver)?

I usually use the "RSLinx Network" download method, which allows me to use the RSLinx DF1 Full Duplex driver to load my program into the PanelView.

Can you "see" the PanelView in an RSWho browse with the DF1 driver in RSLinx ? Did the "Autoconfig" button on the DF1 driver configuration window return an "SLC/PLC/PanelView" device type ?

Yes I can see the panelview in the RSWho browser and the Autoconfig button shows: "SLC-CHO/Micro/PanelView".
And for the transfer type, I tried "DF1 Point-to-Point -- RSLinxAB_DF1-1" and also "DF1 Point-to-Point -- Internal COM 1"
I checked the baud rate and everything was matching. Except that when I do the Autoconfig on the COM 1 driver it gives me a baud rate of 19200 while the baud rate on the PV is 9600. I changed the baud rate on the PV to 19200 but nothing changed. I tried many combinations and it still not working. Do I need to change anything on the SLC 5/04?

I would try just connecting directly from your PC to the PV1000 using point to point. You don't need to have any connection to the SLC to do this. Shut RSLinx down and just have PanelBuilder running.

When you download, it gives you the option of "DF1 Point-to-Point -- RSLinxAB_DF1-1" ?!?

When I have a DF1 driver set up in RSLinx, I get an option for "RSLinx Networks".

What version of PB32 are you using? Perhaps your panelview firmware is newer than your PB32, and that's why the download fails - the transfer software doesn't recognize it as a Panelview.

I connected directly from point to point and it still didn't work. I think that it's transfering to the PV because when I download my program all the download tasks are accomplished and the PV shows the file transferring to 100% but then I get the "Error 208: Unable to write to remote device". So I am wondering if its a problem with the DH+ cable (But than again on the SLC 5/04 the DH+ light is on) so I don't know what I am doing wrong.
Actually somebody used this system before and it worked.

Okay, that's where you lost us, RP. I assumed that you hadn't been able to download your PanelView configuration and that the runtime error was secondary to your main problem.

The error message you're looking at on the PanelView is a runtime error that says the PanelView cannot get access to the data in the SLC-5/04 that the objects on the screen are requesting.

Specifically, Error 208 "Unable to write to remote device" occurs when the DH+ node (in your case, an SLC-5/04) returns a DH+ error code indicating that it doesn't support a specific DH+ function that has been requested.

This can occur if you have a very old controller that doesn't support a particular type of data write command, or if the PanelView is trying to use PLC-5 specific functions with a SLC-5/04 connected.

Go into your PanelView configuration and check the Communications setup. Is the "Device Type" for the SLC-5/04 node accidentally set for PLC-5 ?

When I go into the Comm setup in the PV configuration, all I have is the node:2 and the Baud: 57.6K that's it. There is nothing else