Programmers just starting out

Any on willing to learn deserves a chance. but I am tired of the ones that don't want to learn something...

Well he seems like he will show the dedication necessary to learn about what we do. Our most important concern, though, is scales. His biggest disadvantage is that he is only like 4.5 feet tall haha. I'm fine with that because i'm 6' and 300 lbs, so he can get into places I just physically can't.

And maybe I'm just not good at reading facial expressions, but it looked to me like the apprentice wasn't even listening and just didn't give a rats ***. ..

Spent a hour talking and explaining a thermal heat recovery system to a new tech, about 55 min into it I looked over and saw a blank gaze on his face, I asked him if he had any questions.... he pointed at the screen saver running on the PC and asked "do you think that is in Hawaii, I have always wanted to go there"

Really...

A few years ago we worked over a small industrial and changed the control to PLC and HMI. No one was alive that had originally designed the electrical nor did anyone really know what happened in what sequence. Determining what those guys did in the 50's with relays and timers was an education in itself. Fun and I will never get to do another project like it.

Finding someone to work at all is our problem at the moment. 1.8% unemployment here. I need help from ditch diggers on up.

You know, I've only been out of technical school for just over 3 years now, but for me and a number of my fellow classmates, we were thrown in, sink or swim. I was hired out to a saw mill just after I had completed the PLC programming portion of my AA in Electrical Power and Process Automation. Our school had a good hands on section towards the end of the program, but I never experienced it. I had been unemployed for 2 years, swtiching trades from Carpentry to an Industrial electrician, and I was eager to get back to work. I was chasing the mill on the weekends by myself within 3 months of getting out of school.. which is absurdly unsafe if you ask me, as I was EXTREMELY green when i started my first job as an electrician. That mill shut down and I applied for "journeyman" positions on a whim which I actually ended up getting since it's so hard to find industrial millwrights/electricians right now. I felt bad at first making the same amount of money as these guys who had been doing it 10, 20, 30 years.. But I hit the ground running, started chasing the mill by myself, and learned alot.. very quickly, I believe I now earn my money just the same as all the other electricians I work with. I treated everything like a learning opportunity and believe my hard work (as well as this site helping answer my questions) has prepared me for finding my next job.

The search for said job, will start a little sooner than expected as I found out yesterday that our plant is shutting down permanently in 60 days. Having worked on networks, instrumentation, and setting up and replacing PLCs/tracking down wiring with no diagram at our aging boiler for the last year and a half, I will once again apply for jobs I didn't dream I could get 2 years ago. But now I have the confidence that I can perform, and when something comes up that I don't know.. I can figure it out.

Sorry for the rambling, the point I'm trying to make is.. It's up to the person whether they want to perform. I've seen them fail, and I've seen them succeed.

And thank you to everyone who has taken the time to answer questions when I've posted on here. I tend to see some of the names over and over and if it weren't for you guys taking the time out of your busy day to help a struggling apprentice that you don't know, I can't say I'd be as fortunate to be in the position I am now.

Again, Thank you

The search for said job, will start a little sooner than expected as I found out yesterday that our plant is shutting down permanently in 60 days.

Been through a few myself... its a little scary but in the end its better, I think you will do fine as you have the skills that are in demand

Its good to leave before you get burnt out, my last one I stayed TOOO long, there were times that they said we were going to close so I did not search and ended up staying more then I should of

"The best job you will ever have is your next one"

Just put a few bucks away (if possible) so you can live in the between times