Studio 5000: CIP Error: Address offset out of range

janner_10

Lifetime Supporting Member
CPU: 5069-L330ER v32
HMI: PV+7 10" v11

Every time the customer powers off the machine and re-applies power, the HMI gets stuck on Starting Application.

If you open FT Studio or try to save the Studio 5000 whilst on-line, you get all the errors messages and symptoms as per this tech note:

https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/answer_view/a_id/1089948/loc/en_US#__highlight

For those without Tech Connect, the FT Studio Errors are:
"Failed tag information upload on route cip=<path> at <IP address> and Symbol upload ends with error for CIP=<path> at <IP address"

PLC Save Error:
Error 732-80044402 - Data upload did not complete. CIP Error: Address offset out of range.

As per the tech note, I rebuild the project and download again, all the errors disappear and the screen springs to life again.

It offers a solution but no root cause of how to fix the issue.

Anyone else experienced this error before?

Yes! As in 'Holy crapola, yes!'

Mine looked worse because my HMIs were at v9. It wasn't until upgrading one of them to v12 that I got application to load, but CIP route errors on the tag uploads.

So, v12 didn't help, but upgrading the CPU (Ours is 5069-L310ERS2) to v33 seemed to do the trick.

I could replicate the issue by creating a UDT through online editing and using it somewhere in the program. Cycle power on the machine and -poof- CIP route errors.

I can't verify that just upgrading the CPU will do it for you, but I can verify no issues between v33 and v12.

Hope this helps!

I know this started a wee bit back, but I have the same issue, so my thoughts were to up the PLC from 32.011 to 32.014, rather than 33....

But my Control Flash programmes are not good enough to do this, so they need to be upgraded too....Nothing is ever simple in Rockwell land....

same problem here...

Hi guys,
I am facing the same problem with Controller V32 and FTV V12.
As ROCKWELL Support couldnt help me and the machine is already packed for shipping to the US I am a little bit lost and started googling -> thats how i came here ;-)

Here some more details about what I found out so far:

- it never recovers after reconnecting / restarting PLC or HMI or both
- sometimes it recovers going online with the FTV and start the running man or hit the "play" button at one of your screens
- sometimes it recovers when compiling and downloading the FTV project to the HMI
- it once recovered after about 24 hours just like that
- I dont know if thats related, but downloading the latest firmware to the HMI took me over 5 hours which seemed very weird to me and made me beleive it must be a bigger network problem!? Also ROCKWELL support said there might be a problem with my ROCKWELL software installations but couldnt give me any further hint...

So what I want to do now do now is preparing a V33 software / firmware and download it to the controller once I am on site.

Is there any other idea what to do?

I am just asking because the project timeline is very critical and once I am on site I should have a list of possible solutions with me.

Greetings from Germany

we have 3 Stratix 1783-LMS8 in the network, but they are not configured - so according to the manual they should work as unmanaged switches...

But actually I connected the PLC directly to the HMI to see whats happening then and had the same issue...

Actually what I saw was the error saying something like
"write operation failed for 1 items because write connection could not be established on route cip=1..."

When I started the running man I saw something like "...write connection established on route cip=2..." and it finally started working again.

I wonder what that "cip route x" actually is, couldnt find any info about it and also ROCKWELL support couldn't explain me what it means...

having managed switches unconfigured are worse than using unmanaged switches, imho.

Check HMI designer shortcuts and remove the unused ones.

Just in case someone runs into this error when saving the program:

PLC Save Error:
Error 732-80044402 - Data upload did not complete. CIP Error: Address offset out of range.

Using the Save As feature fixed the problem for me. It seems to be occurring most on V32. If this did not work, I would have tried the Compact feature.

I was facing the same issue with Studio V32.04 on a 1756-L72 running with V32.11.

The solution was to perform a plain upload without opening a project file (opening studio 5000 launcher and selecting Open -> From Upload).

None of the above workarounds have worked. I think it's because I have done AOIs and UDTs changes. The bytes usage were "not optimized" regarding the 32 bits allocation. I found out CLX doesn't optimize a sequence of bools, with something that takes 4 bytes in between, and later more bools in sequence. I supposed it packed together the bools where it would fit in 32 bits, but it seems to allocate 32 bits for the first sequence, and more 32 for the second sequence. That's why I changed the UDT so that sequence takes up fewer bytes in total, and it does (apparently looking inside the summary of bytes of the block). My guess is that the old ACD file contained the structures and UDTs and so in that same old sequence and fashion, so when I tried to upload, the data it fetched from the PLC came in other sequence, leading to the error.