OT Multi conductor reel?

geniusintraining

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have a project that I am trying to come up with a solution... the customer wants sensors on a manual moving ladder, the bottom rung and the handrails, I have found both that I can do it with but that causes a trip hazard as the ladder will have a multi conductor wire laying on the ground... has anyone seen some sort of hose reel that supports multi conductor wires? I know they have 120v that has 3 and maybe I can modify one of them but not looking to red neck this project

Mark
🍻

Maybe you can repurpose something like this: https://robot-reels.com/

We use them in my plant for teach pendants as intended, but it shouldn't be too hard to strip ends and make custom connectors?

Last edited:
What's wrong with going wireless
No matter what reel you use it will still have the cord
You could put the core overhead from the top of the ladder
No matter what reel system you use you will need a power winder that completes things as well as increase the cost
with a battery wireless system you have no cord to deal with

What's wrong with going wireless

Cost and they are sticklers about any form of COM's, there are about 500 of them total so I am sure they would have an issue, they have a lot of wireless robots, I made them a RFID device and they specified that if had to be 13.56hz and could not be read over 50mm, but I like the idea of going overhead as there is a upper rail

PreLC said:
Maybe you can repurpose something like this

I like them, thank you!

I remember seeing a few year back a laser communications system that would connect to moving equipment. It used raster type scanning so it could always 'see' the moving device. Sorry can't remember the name.

I remember seeing a few year back a laser communications system that would connect to moving equipment. It used raster type scanning so it could always 'see' the moving device. Sorry can't remember the name.

Thank you, that sounds way to expensive

I ask them for more pictures, I think I am going to try a reel at the top of the ladder and run the wires on the top support, the ladder only moves about 10ft so I was even thinking a cable with some loops to support it