[TOOL] What version is this MER/APA anyway?

When a MER is compiled, there are a few files included that you don't see in the project directory. The version is in a file called VERSION_INFORMATION. If you have a MER file, unzip it with 7zip, you will see the file.

OK. Obviously, I think, there MUST be something in the SE application directory that's different between SE versions. Because when you open it up in Studio, Studio will tell you if its an incompatible version.

OK. Obviously, I think, there MUST be something in the SE application directory that's different between SE versions. Because when you open it up in Studio, Studio will tell you if its an incompatible version.

For sure. I originally made the tool for MER's because RA said there is no way to know the version without FT. I said to myself: Self, if they can do it, then there is obviously a way. I guess from the project itself, the details are likely in the SED file.

Like I said, I don't work with SE. What would it take to get a couple of identical SED files, only difference being version? I'm sure it is at lest an equal PITA compared to ME.

Is there a way to tell what version FTView SE is? From the .SED file? Also if its Distributed, Network Station, or Station?

SE also does offer the option to take an entire project and compress it down to a single file just lime ME. The intent was for backup or for transferring from PC to PC. In earlier versions the backup that was created was also an APA file, just like ME. In more recent versions, they have a new Application Manager tool that better handles network type applications. That tool now saves backups as APB files.

When using this new version of the Application Manager if you open an APA or APB file it will tell you the version. While it doesn't specify Local vs Network applications, it is easy to tell the difference as the Local applications will show the Primary Host as "localhost" where Network applications will show a computer name. Also, Local applications will have the Area field as empty.

I don't think there is a way to get this info from the SED file.

OG

Being able to get the version from the MED file made me feel pretty confidant that I'd be able to do the same from the SED. The two files are largely the same. The SED doesn't contain the same version information that the MED does. The MED was very obvious.

Let me know if you need anything else. A resolution to this would be very beneficial to many I would guess. Including me.

With ME, you get a notification that an older project will be converted to your current version at the point you open the project for the first time, after it was restored. To me, that means somewhere in the project directory, there is record of this. The file VERSION_INFORMATION is this file in ME land. Turns out, that is not the only place the information exists. The MED file also contains it, in a different file within the MED. Does SE behave this way? When you restore an older project, the first time you open it, it alerts you that the version is older?

What would be helpful is a SED, or a full project directory of the exact same application but in two different versions. I was able to do this easily in ME because I could just make MER's in any version I want. I suppose this is more difficult in SE because they are not compiled. I guess one way to get this would be to restore a project that is v8, for example. Zip that up. Then open the project and let it be converted to the new version, zip that up. Then I can poke around at the differences. If someone had the time to get me those details, that would be super helpful.

Here is a version of the InstantFizz sample application included with SE. One is version 6.1 and the other is version 12.0. Links below to my Google Drive

Version 6.1
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1dZVwXXG2CupFGbDpyfeR9KPJV9UdWJUe/view?usp=sharing

Version 12.0
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1EWa-C8zvKlG0NoZCM4fVLMCF2VSfT9nF/view?usp=sharing

This is not a proper FT backup, but is instead the project folder zipped up. I can supply APA/APB if you want those.

OG

I think google drive will be asking you to give me permission to download.

I'm not sure what will be needed here, I'm flying blind. I suppose the more likely thing that people will be trying to figure out the version on would be the archived project, if you have a project restored, you would already know the version :)

I had never really looked into the MED, it just wasn't necessary. Now that I have, I kind of want to figure something out with the SED. I guess, if you wouldn't mind making a APA/APB, I can dig into those too.