FT View SE VBA

Neal Wallace

I have a project to integrate some recipes between 8 production lines.

Each system is currently an island to each production line and each having its own FT View SE Distributed Server and Clients on each line. Each line currently using the built-in recipe tool to handle about 140 different recipes.

The systems are currently using some VBA to move daily data logs to a location on a network drive / Storage.

Up to now the products only run on a specific line but operations wants to have the ability to run all products on all lines which is no problem except for the recipes.

The request is to somehow use the FT View SE VBA and a SQL database to be able to have the recipes in SQL and use them for every FT View SE system but not sure if this is possible.

The built-in recipe+ systems appear to only import and export.csv files?

Any ideas on how to integrate recipe+ with SQL or if there is anything built-in or an easier way to do this?

Never used FTV for SQL recipe handling but I'm sure it is possible, however, it depends on the VBA & the plugins, I have used it in other Scada systems & it is really robust, the system I did would fetch 2,500 words of information into 2500 registers, so was quite a large recipe, at that time there were in the region of 160 recipes stored on the DB, the slowest thing was the population of the registers over the network probably about 3 seconds but that is still pretty fast. Assuming the Database is on a server where all HMI's can access it & the VBA has the ability to connect using SQL queries then it should be pretty simple.
I used a data source name on the Scada so that it could be quickly changed as our IT Dept. would change servers probably every 12 months (probably for upgrades, so they would migrate the DB's to another server on occasions.