RSView 32 Works not opening correctly

aashcraft3

Hey everyone,

I am having a problem with RSView32 Works opening. When I open RSView32 Works I get the splash screen then Works opens for about a second or two then closes. No error messages or anything, it just closes. I get this everytime I try it. RSView32 Runtime works fine, it is just the development side that will not. I have contacted Rockwell and have not been able to get it resolved. Anyone have any Ideas?

I am running version 7.50 CPR9 SR1 with Windows XP Pro SP3.
Laptop is a Dell Latitude D830
Virus Scan is AVG (Which I have tried with and without, same result)
I'm using Factory Talk Activation and have verified the license is okay.

Thanks for any help.

Alan

Try deleting the Cache folder....Works will rebuild it on the next opening. (Backup the application, just in case)

Also, make sure the path to the file doesn't exceed 255 characters.

Also, after it crashes once, I assume you are either rebooting to try again or killing all the orphaned processes? View32 has a nasty habit of leaving orphaned processes running when it crashes and you won't be able to open it again. There's actually a utility you can download from rockwell called kill32 to terminate all these (I think that's the name...It is kill something). You can also manually terminate them by opening up task manager and killing anything with a 32 in the process name.

And, make sure the license is for works and not runtime only. And make sure your app doesn't exceed the allowable tag limit of your license.

Last edited:
Is this a copy of a project??

If you copy a project you will not get everything also is there any VBA

I do not think it has anything to do with your PC... but do you have another PC? use the utility software to copy the project then try it on another, but like I said I think its just something in your application

I don't know if I ever opened a blank/empty application with works... have you tried to remove and reload RSView?

Have you got the licensing all set up correctly? I was hosting a license off a network resource and when it was offline, RSView32 would take foooooooorever (several minutes) between the splash screen and finally popping up the warning about the license.

It would give the appearance that after the splash screen, the program had failed to start.

We are having the same problem with RSView32 Works v7.50. It hard crashes right after the splash screen. No error is logged in the system.

We have tried almost everything short of uninstalling every software package (250+ on this image) one by one to see if it's a software conflict.

Has anyone had any luck with this problem?

Thanks robertmee. This post came in handy today when I was trying to reboot Rsview32 remotely through the internet. I had the same issue of RSview software never opening and did not show any error too like the folks here said. I then followed your post and manually killed all the process which had number 32. And once i killed all of them, i was able to open RSview32.

thanks again for your post.

Project Manager stops working

Thank you very much. It worked for me also.
For whatever reason I am getting " Project Manager stopped working-please close the program". After closing it, I could never open RSV again.
After manually deleting processes it opens again. What a drag...
I am using v.7.60

One more thing to check is that the factory talk license server is actually running. I've got one win7 machine that try as i might, I cannot get the license server to automatically start on. It has to be manually started. I finally gave up since we don't reboot that often and since this will migrate to ignition before the year ends.

Finally!!! This issue of Works not opening has been a thorn in my side for months, but finally woks is alive. I used the task manager to close all the .33's and viola, She opened!

Thanks Everyone

Works opened but now when I attempt to open the project I get a popup "Connect to Watchcom SQL" UserID: TagDb, Password:******, When I click OK I get an error "ODBC--connection to H0TESTSR". After this error is acknowledged I loose the ability to open a project file and have to exit Works. I was able to open a new project with no issues. Any ideas?