Redlion G3 looping power

matthew1

Hello all!

This isn't really a question. This is a stupid mistake I made. Might have found the solution but not sure. Wanted to post and see if something similar has happened to others and to make sure I understand.

I created a application for a G3 10' touchscreen. About 60 screens, 1 small program, and 200 tags. I ordered the screen after the program was started.

I ordered a G310R230 800x600 SVGA

The program was for a G310C210 640X480 VGA.

When the touchscreen came in about noon today and I tried to download the app. The target device did not match the Database so I used the convert utility. It confirmed a successful conversion.

When the app was downloaded the screen cycled power about every 20 seconds. off, boot, load, start screen, off....and so on.

Talked to RL support they suggested deleting the app in sections to find the fault causing the issue. In all fairness I forgot to inform them the database had been converted.

After doing this twice I decided to copy and paste everything to a new program created for the correct screen.

The power cycle went away and the screen is stable.

I have looked and can find no master settings etc.

Should I assume this was the issue? Or missing something entirely?

Thank you.

You aren't the first person to end up with a corrupted application. I have done it a time or two, and I have read of some other posts. Crimson 3.0 is not perfect, but it is much better than some of the alternatives. The fact that it is so fast and flexible makes up for the few rare bugs in my experience.

I think a lot of these issues stem from the editor being so "wide open" that you can do things that you probably should not. Some of these things perhaps should be better trapped by the editor, but I don't expect them to be able to trap every possible issue...

Now, I have the practice of saving with a new file name before each major change while developing an application. So far, I have only gotten into trouble with a corrupted app. twice, but going back a revision has gotten me back on track both times. In once case, I opened a 2nd instance of Crimson 3.0 editor and dragged and dropped all the stuff from the funky one into the older revision that was different. For whatever reason, it didn't get corrupted and only took a few minutes to do that.

In each of the cases where I made a bad application, I had symptoms like you describe. It would boot, start to run the app., boot again, and this would repeat a handful of times before it would give up and wait for a download.

Paul

I’m not being negative toward Redlion. I agree that they make a nice flexible product. However I’m just starting to use their HMI and Logging products.

After working on the app about three hours yesterday I searched this site with few keywords and didn't find a matching issue. True I did not go through all of them. Typing in Redlion in a search on this site gives you a lot of matches so I skimmed the titles for relevance. I posted with the hope that someone with Years of experience, like yourself could comment and correct if needed. Hopefully if someone searches now they may get the help they need from the information you provided.

Thank you,

Matthew

🍻

I only have four projects under my belt with Crimson 3.0, not exactly years of experience. I didn't take your comment as anything negative, just factual. I wasn't trying to be too defensive of them...I hope it didn't come across that way. Believe me, I have been a big (mouthed) critic of any and all problems I encounter with any product...

I do this for two reasons:
1) Info = Power. I want to share as much detail as I can for those who seek that power. I have gained so much from forums like these, i feel obligated to try to add to them in some way.

2) Product improvement. A good vendor will make something positive happen when their product is critiqued. I know Red Lion does this as well as anyone. I have seen them make a lot of progress in many areas, and their reaction time is excellent. I have used their tech support on the phone three times and all three times they responded most effectively and immediately. With that butter applied, I still think their manuals leave a lot to be desired, and I would like to see them put a paragraph or two under each item in their Crimson 3.0 release notes. I guess Rockwell Automation has me spoiled with the abundance of detail in their literature library.

I didn’t take any offense. I always enjoy your posts/responses. (y) You have helped me several times with Crimson 3. :geek: Must have been four large projects. I just wanted to be clear.

^1—Agree 100%

^2—Manuals are a bit sparse and unclear. Maybe because the system is so flexible? Hope to get a lot out of this project it’s not time critical. :p

Thank you,

Matthew

I had that same problem in my first program. Luckily it wasn't large as I wound up redoing the whole thing. I will try the copy and past method next time. I assumed that it would corrupt the new program.

I agree that RL's literature is lacking. At least compared to rockwell. I would describe their crimson manual and reference as 'sufficient'. What I would really like to see is more tech notes. I learned as much through those as I did through the manuals. I wish they had a user submission process that we could describe everything we did with the products in detail, then they could verify it, clean it up, put a RL logo on it, and post it on the website. The product is extremely capable; however, it is unclear to make use of that capability at times.