CompactLogix L32E PLC need to change its IP

DavidRuan

(n)

I bought a CompactLogix L32E PLC recently and assigned an IP address to it by BOOTP and disable BOOTP/DHCP, the PLC was working.
I want to change the IP address of the PLC now into another one with different Subnet mask and Gateway because I did not have enough IP address in the old subnet. When I opened BOOTP, the PLC did not issue any BOOTP request again and I can not assign the new IP address to overwrite the old one, What should I do and how to do please?

Thank you for help.

Hi and welcome to the Forum!

It cannot issue BOOTP requests since you originally disabled BOOTP/DHCP.

The easiest way to change it is to browse to the 1769-L32E Ethernet Port in RSLinx and right click it. Go to Module Configuration at the bottom, and then to the Port Configuration tab. Set your new IP address, mask and gateway here and click Ok.

Regards,
George

Wes, can you elaborate on that statement ?

RSLinx Enterprise running on a PC workstation should have no effect on the BOOTP/DHCP function of any controller or Ethernet module.

In my experience, the issuance of BOOTP or DHCP request is entirely a matter of the values saved to the Ethernet object inside the device's firmware, and the RSLinx Enterprise service does not, to my knowledge, interfere with the BOOTP/DHCP Server utility.

Two other things you will need to do. First (this one might be obvious) is to add the new IP address in RSLinx (assuming you are using the “Ethernet Devices” driver). Second, in RSLogix5000 you will need to change the path to the PAC. If you’ve already uploaded or downloaded to the PAC a path has been set which won’t work with the new IP address.