Advice on Photoeye controllers

Viks

Hi all,
I know this is a little off topic but i need your help in selecting a correct component as a replacement to an obselete item. Okay here it goes, this card(PCB) which i need to replace is from DATALOGIC OPTIC ELECTRONICS and details are like this:
  • Input voltage - 110-220vac
  • Has 24vdc output for two photoeyes
  • 2 x 24vdc relays with contacts rated @ 220vac 10A
  • Panel Mounted
  • Both relays are energized by the photoeyes independently.That is,one photoeye controls one relay.
  • The relay outputs are connected to some field devices like solenoid coils,etc.
The problem is that the relay contacts are now failing due to the age of the control panel(this is all hard wired)so want to put a proposal to the management to replace all the cards(there are about a dozen of them in the panel).Anyone out there who has worked on these before or have a suggestion for a better replacement option. I would need the replacement card similar to this so I dont have to make a lot of changes in the wiring. Please direct me to a manufacturer who manufactures these types of components which would suit my application.
TIA

Datalogic.jpg

What type of photo eye? Infra red, visible, red, green, through beam, diffuse, retro-reflective, range?
What is the application?

The problem is that the relay contacts are now failing due to the age of the control panel(Anyone out there who has worked on these before or have a suggestion for a better replacement option. I would need the replacement card similar to this so I dont have to make a lot of changes in the wiring. Please direct me to a manufacturer who manufactures these types of components which would suit my application.
TIA

Given your requirements: ie. "not a lot of changes in the wiring"

My suggestion is this. It looks like the clear plastic top of the relay is held on by screws from the bottom. It also looks like they are some sort of "ice cube" type relay that plugs in (judging from the holdown clip and zip tie). And it also looks like they are fairly large by today's standards. Replace the "guts" of the relays with a suitable modern relay replace the top and your off and running.

If it were me, I would look to see if I could improve the performance of the machine (fewer operators, faster throughput, faster changover from one product to the next) with a PLC, and do away with the antique electrics. But thats just my opinion.

Last edited:
BobB,these are diffuse reflection sensors and the application is on a Bundler machine. FYI,Iwork for a company which makes toilet rolls and other variuos hygienic tissue products.

Milldrone,thanks for your advice. I'll keep that at the back of my mind and discuss the upgrade proposal with management when the time is right. FYI,we just did a upgrade of one of our wrapping machine from Modicon 884 to ControlLogix so I dont think so this will be the right time to put up this proposal.
Thanks,

It looks like you could squeeze a power supply and a couple of relays in there on a DIN rail without any problems.
Do you know how to wire it?

If you have a 24VDC power supply any brand will probably do, as long as it will detect your product and at the correct range. Just connect it up and drive a relay with it. Be careful with commons on the relay that is all. If the PE has an NPN output use a positive common an the relay and if PNP use a negative common on the relay.
Also make absolutely certain the relays have fly wheel diodes to protect the transistor output of the PE.
A few brands to look at - SUNX, SICK, OMRON, KEYENCE, BANNER and plenty more.

Thanks all for your suggestions. I believe the idea of adding in a 24vdc power supply and connecting the PE's via a relay is the best i could think of also. Thanks again for all your suggestions.
regards,

Can you use a photoeye with a builtin relay?

I've used the AB 42GRU-9002 several times with great sucess in applications where I did not have a PLC available. It is 120VAC and the SPDT relay can easily handle 24VDC. You will still need a mini power supply like this http://www.pulspower.com/pdf/ml15e241.pdf but it will keep the 120 VAC input and seperate 24VDC output.

Otherwise, I would reconsider and rewire everything to put in 24 VDC photoeyes.

Can you use a photoeye with a builtin relay?

I've used the AB 42GRU-9002 several times with great sucess in applications where I did not have a PLC available. It is 120VAC and the SPDT relay can easily handle 24VDC. You will still need a mini power supply like this http://www.pulspower.com/pdf/ml15e241.pdf but it will keep the 120 VAC input and seperate 24VDC output.

Otherwise, I would reconsider and rewire everything to put in 24 VDC photoeyes.

Bruce,the photoeye's are all 24vdc but the controlled output from the relays are all 240vac. Thanks for your suggestion anyway. The AB 42GRU-9002 does looks like a cool product.
regards,

Then the 42GRU-9001 is the 24 DC version. The contacts can only handle 1A at 240 VAC though. Not sure how much you are pulling through the contacts.

The current rating should be more than enough for my application as the outputs controlled are just small contactors and solenoid coils. Just to give it a cost,how much do these photoeyes cost.