Recommended external HD

dwoodlock

Lifetime Supporting Member
Just wanted to check and see which ones are working well for people?

I have a couple thumb drives that are filling up, and I am more hesitant to just delete things nowadays. Our IT department doesn't make storing backups easy, so I'm planning to implement my own solution.

Thanks

I can't personally vouch for them, but if you do any kind of field work, I would look into the LaCie Rugged external drives or something along those lines. Again, I haven't used them so I can't attest to whether or not they're good, but the reviews seem pretty good and the prices seem decent too.

The Samsung external SSDs are fantastic for speed and value. I store virtual machines and large project backups on them, and have run the VMs over a USB3.0 port in a pinch.

I'm tempted to just buy a cloud backup subscription, because if I suffer a total hull loss, the odds are good that my physical backups were aboard too.