FactoryTalk View Studio v10

kcotton69

I just upgraded my FTVME to version 10 from version 8.2. Now every time I try to get into my communications setup, it locks up the program. My PC is a 32 bit windows7 machine. Could that be the problem?

I just upgraded my FTVME to version 10 from version 8.2. Now every time I try to get into my communications setup, it locks up the program. My PC is a 32 bit windows7 machine. Could that be the problem?

Hi Kcotton69,

Can you send Screenshot of same.

Regards,
Sagar K

what do you mean by lock? is it an app crash or is there an error code?

ok, I am not sure, personally though I wouldn't use Windows 7 32 bit.

For an engineering pc, I'd recommend 8gb of ram, which W7 32 cannot do.

Last edited:
They are wanting us to phase out our automation laptops and use machines with their firewalls, security, etc. I keep telling them that it will not work, but when you work for a large company, they dont listen. Our automation laptops are 64 bit windows 7 with 8gb of ram and I run a couple of VM's for the earlier versions of rslogix 5000 and rsview.

I have had a lot of troubles with V10 FTview.

You should try re-installing FactoryTalk Linx and installing the latest patch rollup.

I also had to install a separate patch to get rid of test mode adding a $ when using string inputs.

I am running 64bit win7 VM though.

They are wanting us to phase out our automation laptops and use machines with their firewalls, security, etc. I keep telling them that it will not work, but when you work for a large company, they dont listen.

If you can get a meeting with the powers that be, explain to them your concerns and that production depends on your ability to administrate your own computer and software. I used to work for a company with some rigid IT rules, but once they came to understand that I was going to call them at all hours of the day and night, and that downtime would be charged to their department, they began to come around. Once they understood that we knew enough about computers to keep them from having to deal with 99% of our needs, they let us handle things how we needed, and worked with us on antivirus and Admin rights.

The bottom line is that most factories can make widgets without the IT department. If a PLC or PLC network is down and no widgets are being made because you can't use their tools to fix their machines, that cuts into everyone's paycheck.

I don't have any good advice for you with regard to FactoryTalk. If you have some say-so and can avoid using it altogether, you will be better off for it. I know that you can't instantly switch to something else, but making plans to switch to Red Lion HMIs and Ignition for PC based SCADA was the best thing I ever did to help reliability.

Last edited:
They are wanting us to phase out our automation laptops and use machines with their firewalls, security, etc. I keep telling them that it will not work, but when you work for a large company, they dont listen. Our automation laptops are 64 bit windows 7 with 8gb of ram and I run a couple of VM's for the earlier versions of rslogix 5000 and rsview.
Its recommended to keep those firewalls etc intact. IT would have to create the required exceptions though.