SLC to CompactLogix Conversion Ethernet Question

Luke_S

Hello

I am looking into converting several SLC racks to CompactLogix using the 1747-AENTR module. These racks are currently RIO for a PLC5 in a cabinet over 1000' away in a large DC. We want to separate these systems into individual PLC's and get rid of the RIO.

My question is with Ethernet comms on the 5370 L3 series of CompactLogix. (This seems to be the processor that should be used for this task)

In other areas of our DC we use L45 CompactLogix with 2 ENBT cards, one for the corporate network, and one for the private network to talk to barcode scanners, Ethernet drives, Ethernet-CAN gateways etc.

I would like to isolate the local traffic the same way with the new setup. Can a separate Ethernet card be added to the 5370/1769 rack so that I can use the built in Ethernet on the processor for the local traffic, and an additional card for the corporate network? If so, which card would you suggest?

I appreciate your help! o_O

The dual Ethernet port CompactLogix 5370 controllers have embedded switch technology which facilitates their use in Linear and Ring topologies (DLR - Device Level Ring) by assigning the same IP settings to both Ethernet ports. You cannot use these controllers, alone, to acheive the traffic isolation you require.

There are no AB 1769 Ethernet communications modules that you can add to the older or newer CompactLogix controllers.

However, the newer CompactLogix 5380 controllers...

Well, I won't repeat myself...

MSG Instruction Communication Path (5069 controllers)

Regards,
George

Last edited:
I had this reply typed before George beat me to it;

If you aren't heart set on a 5370 you could use a 5380 processor which has two ports which can be uniquely configured, i.e. one could be a 192.. range and one could be a 10.xx range

George, whilst checking if there were Ethernet modules I came across the 1769-AENTR, could he use one port of the CPU (L3 5370) for one range and one port of the AENTR for the other range?

That's a negative!...

the_msp said:
...George, whilst checking if there were Ethernet modules I came across the 1769-AENTR, could he use one port of the CPU (L3 5370) for one range and one port of the AENTR for the other range?

I'm afraid not...

The AENTR Ethernet modules are only intended to act as an I/O adapter, or scanner module and not as a communications module, such as an ENxT. They must be placed in Slot 0, which is the default controller slot. So a controller and an AENTR module cannot exist in the same chassis. They can only be used to replace a controller in an existing Local chassis, or other type adapter in a Remote I/O chassis, when converting to a Distributed I/O chassis.

That goes for the 1769-AENT(R) or the 1747-AENT(R).

The 1747-AENTR is intended to be used in cases such as this one. Where you want to convert an existing SLC based chassis or Remote I/O chassis, to a Distributed I/O chassis on a newer platform, such as a Logix 5000 system. You replace the SLC processor, or Remote I/O adapter, in Slot 0 with the 1747-AENTR and add the AENTR to the Logix 5000 project. You can then add your Logix controller and network it to the Distributed I/O chassis. The SLC I/O is now effectively under the control of the new controller, via the new AENTR scanner module.

EDIT:I forgot to mention that when converting an SLC chassis to Distributed I/O over Ethernet, using a 1747-AENTR adapter, there are certain limitations which can be import to consider before doing so...

471083 - 1747-AENTR SLC Ethernet Adapter General Information and FAQs
Access Level: Everyone

Something else I've noticed here...

Luke_S said:
...I am looking into converting several SLC racks to CompactLogix using the 1747-AENTR module. These racks are currently RIO for a PLC5 in a cabinet over 1000' away in a large DC. We want to separate these systems into individual PLC's and get rid of the RIO...

We're talking roughly 300 meters (1000 feet) here from the Distributed I/O locations to the PLC-5 location. If you need to interconnect any of the newly converted CompactLogix chassis' with each other, or any or all of them back to the PLC-5 location, using Ethernet media, then don't forget that Ethernet cable runs are only permitted over certain distances.

A typical maximum under the Ethernet specification is 100 meters, but there can be derating factors involved that may need to be considered. For instance, the maximum allowed horizontal length of a Category 5e Ethernet channel is 100 meters (328 ft) up to a temperature of 20 degrees C. This length is including device and patch cabling. Every 1 degree rise in temperature above 20 degrees will increase the attenuation (signal loss) in the cable. The attenuation increase is linear to the decrease in permissible channel length. A 12% attenuation increase will result in a 12% decrease in the permissible channel length. Category 6 cable temperature derating fairs even less favourably. Solid or stranded? UTP or STP?...and so on. These factors can considerably derate the initially permitted 100 meters for the channel. So you can imagine, in certain "noisy" industrial environments, how ignoring these limitations can introduce potentially unacceptable signal loss and errors, which in turn can impact on the volume of traffic on the network.

You might not be going to interconnect these systems together, but just in case, the above is a tiny insight into the reasons why it is advisable not to "over stretch" your Ethernet channel lengths. Some do, and get away with it, but many don't, and often come to places like here wondering why they have so many errors on the network.

Glossary: An Ethernet "channel" is a physical interface link between two devices.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Thank you for your advice George.

We have an Ethernet network that is distributed throughout the warehouse with an IDF along the wall every 200'. This is how we communicate between control cabinets and to our visualization server, but it is the corporate network with our systems separated by VLAN only. We do our best to limit our traffic on this network, which is why we have specified separate Ethernet cards for the local traffic at each cabinet in the past.

Do I have to use the latest Studio 5000 to program the 5380 series? Can I upgrade using my existing RSLogix professional license, or is Studio a new separate license $$? We are currently using RSLogix 5000 20.01 for all of our Logix PLCs.

Thanks.

That's good to hear on the network front!

I made a small EDIT above with some further info that might be worth reading?

Luke_S said:
...Do I have to use the latest Studio 5000 to program the 5380 series?...

921325 - CompactLogix 5380 Controllers support in Studio 5000 Mini, Lite Edition
Access Level: Everyone

Studio 5000 Logix Designer v28 introduced support for the 5380 CompactLogix controllers. v29 introduced some more models, and v30 (latest as writing) more still. If going to Studio 5000, I would advice using v30 minimum to support all the latest hardware and "bells and whistles". I've just completed a project using an L33ER v30 and a PanelView 5500, some PowerFlex 525 drives and a couple of 1734-AENTR all whizzing away on a Stratix 8000 26 port. Hardly a control wire in sight. I'm trying out the new HMIBC instruction with implicit HMI button control. Hello to reliable HMI button response for motor jogging and the like, and goodbye to HMI button tag unlatching in the controller.

Luke_S said:
...Can I upgrade using my existing RSLogix professional license, or is Studio a new separate license $$? We are currently using RSLogix 5000 20.01 for all of our Logix PLCs

Your Professional licence will only activate the current Professional Edition of RSLogix 5000 you are using. If you have a TechConnect Contract with Rockwell then your Professional licence entitles you to a "free" download of all available versions of either RSLogix 5000 or Studio 5000. If you do not have a TechConnect Contract then you will have to purchase Studio 5000 Professional.

Regards,
George

Last edited: