Rfideas pc prox with logix 500

Shiro485

Hello
I have a rfideas rfid reader ethernet/ip that I am trying to connect with a micrologix 1400 over ethernet/ip.

I was told this would work for that, but the manufacturer only has instructions on how to do this from rslogix5000

I found an article where someone got this working on a micro800 with cip messaging.

I am figuring it should work just the same with cip messaging via logix500?

Here is the article linked below....
https://www.scadaware.com/blog/pcprox-rfid-micro800/

In logix 500 I created a msg file
set to cip generic
created a data table n16:0 and n17:0 with a send size in 100 and recieve in 110

set service code to 14 or E in hex
Class 4
Instance 100
Attribute 3

And I keep getting connection timed out error.

Does anyone have any experience with this? Am I on the right track or completely wrong here?

Any help is much appreciated. I have tried calling Rockwell and RFIdeas and am coming up empty.

Thanks ☯

The "Connection Timed Out" error suggests that you don't have the target IP address configured correctly or the target device isn't really on the network.

What is the target address in the MultiHop tab for the MicroLogix MSG command ?

Are you certain the PCProx device is present at that address ?

Try a simplified MSG using service code 0x0E (Get Attribute Single) and the Class/Instance/Attribute values 1/1/1. That should return the Vendor Number of the PCProx device and prove that the CIP generic messaging is working.

Remember that the MSG instruction is an edge-triggered instruction; the conditions prior to it must go from False to True every time you want to run it. I usually test with an ordinary Bit address like B10:0/0 on the rung that I can manually toggle.

The rfid reader is at 192.168.200.215 which is what I have punched into the multihop field. Is there anything else I need to add to the address?

I can ping it, I can also connect to the rfid reader via a webbrowser by punching in its ip number.

Thanks!

PING and HTTP are good, but they aren't conclusive.

Get the "TCPING" utility from Elifulkerson.com and see if the RFIdeas device has TCP Port 44818 open, showing that it is running the EtherNet/IP protocol.

Also see if it shows up in RSLinx Classic.

And check both the IP address of the MicroLogix and the Subnet Mask values configured both for the card reader and the MicroLogix.

192.168.200.215 is not as common as 192.168.1.x as a Class C subnet, so the third octet of the Subnet Mask might be important.

Thank you so much for taking the time to help me Ken,

I ran the tcping and it is open on port 44818
I have it listed and found on rslinx, I also installed the eds file from the manufacturers website.

the ip address of the plc is 192.168.200.213
subnet mask for both is 255.255.255.0

The only thing I can see that doesn't add up is the mfg says to use data type SINT, which I am not sure if it makes a difference on logix 500 setup or not of messages as I dont see a sint data type, just regular int.

With those IP addresses and that subnet mask, the comms ought to be good. Check the subnet mask on the RFIdeas side too, of course.

The data type mismatch would probably get a different type of error code, not a "connection timed out".

If this were my system, I would probably take the next step of putting in a network tap and using Wireshark to figure out if the message is being sent properly by the MicroLogix and if the RFIdeas device is responding at all.

The fact that it doesn't respond to a simple read of the Vendor ID (class/instance/attribute = 1/1/1) suggests that the message isn't getting through at all.

What devices are between the plc and prox reader, or is it directly plugged into the plc? I can't remember, is it using a configuration table?

I've used that exact model with a CLX with no issues.

Also on its embedded webpage are there any settings you may be missing?

Also as Ron said Wireshark would help you out a lot. If youve never used it before this would be a perfect begginer exercise.

Thank you gentleman for your help,
I have never used a wireshark, I will check it out.

The pc prox is power over ethernet, is it possible that that is causing problems?
so I have two switches between plc and pcprox plus.

with a clx they have instructions on adding an ethernet module and even an add on profile, so I dont know if there is some functionality there that is missing here.

Max it is using a configuration table. See below for their setup instructions.

Again thank you very much for taking your time to help me!

Follow these easy steps to configure and use your EIP reader.

• Download and install the Rockwell standalone Bootp Server BOOTP-DHCP-Server-2.3.2.zip
    Visit www.rockwellautomation.com/global/relianceelectricdrives/bootp-utility.page for details
  • Connect the reader to a PoE capable port on your network. Be sure that your configuration PC is on the same network.
  • From the Rockwell Bootp Server application, Double click on the MAC address of the reader and assign an IP address. Be sure that the address chosen is not currently in use.
  • Open the pcProxConfig application and configure any credential type, format or parity setting changes to the output data. The green box on the lower portion of the application can be used to verify the output.
  • In the PLC programming application, use the following assembly instances for communication (In RS Logix 5000, setup a Generic Ethernet Module):
    • Set Data type to SINT
    • Input Instance:
      100 - 38 bytes
    • Output Instance:
      110 - 2 bytes: for no LED or Beeper control (input only)
      111 - 4 bytes: for LED and Beeper control within PLC application
    • Control Instance (where applicable):
      128 - 0 bytes (unused)

When I run Wire Shark I see this in the analyze table

53558 1410.080331 Allen-Br_38:58:61 Broadcast ARP 60
Who has 192.168.200.215? Tell 192.168.200.213

So it looks like the plc is sending out a request and not getting it back? I am a little new with this software so I will keep looking into it.

That particular transmission is called an Address Resolution Protocol (ARP) packet. It's a low-level part of how a device connects to another device over Ethernet.

It's likely that you're simply seeing this because it's a broadcast packet; I suspect you don't have a network tap or mirror port set up, so you won't see the data being transmitted between the MicroLogix and the RFIDEAS device.

To intercept the data to and from the MicroLogix, you'll need to set up a mirror port or install a tap. There are quite a lot of tutorials on how to do that, and hopefully your Ethernet switch has the ability to create a Mirror port.

A ControlLogix family controller will treat the RFIDEAS device like an I/O block, and send and receive the Assembly data as part of a cyclic I/O packet every few milliseconds. This is the mechanism by which ControlLogix does I/O on Ethernet.

MicroLogix and Micro 800 series controllers don't support I/O on Ethernet. Not even slowly, or indirectly. They just don't.

What they do support is messaging to the same data objects using unscheduled, non-cyclic messaging. You can emulate the function of an I/O style device if that device still presents the Assembly objects to unscheduled messages even when there's no cyclic I/O Connection established.

The fact that the Micro 800 was shown to be able to message to the device suggests strongly that the MicroLogix 1400 can, too.

The fact that the device didn't respond to a simple "Read Identity" message suggests there's something mis-configured in an Ethernet switch or in the EtherNet/IP protocol support on the RFIdeas side.

Make sure that you have all the devices on your network set up with appropriate subnet masks and default gateways settings, and look into the configuration of the PoE and non-PoE ports on your switch while you're investigating if it can be set up to handle port mirroring.