PLC upgrade

jimdirwu

I am new here. I just find the PLC forum site these days. I have some problem when we upgrade our equipment from PLC5 to RSLogix 5000 V20.014.
Our current SCADA is ifix3.0 base. The RSLinx is V2.43. The SCADA can read the data from Allen Bradley ControlLogix 5000 V13.03.00 plc. But the SCADA can not read data from newer AB ControlLogix 5000 V20 PLC.
We try to upgrade RSLinx to V2.59.01 CPR9 SR5. RSLinx can communicate with both ControlLogix 5000 V13.03.00 PLC and ControlLogix 5000 V20.01.00 CPR9 SR5.
But the SCADA can not communicate with both PLCs with newer RSLinx Version 2.59.02
The SCADA we use is ifix 3.0. The ABR power tool in ifix 3.0 is "ABRdrv OLE automatic I/O drive version 7.29g". Do I need to upgrade ABR power tool? or some other one?
I appreciate if someone who experts in ifix 3.0, ABR power tool and ControlLogix 5.0 can help on this issue. 🤞🏻

Probably time to upgrade your iFix. Having said that, let's see what we can do here. I'm not that familiar anymore with iFix 4.5 or prior but the com haven't changed much.

First, figure out what is your communnication driver, you mention RSLinx and also ABRdrv, you also mentioned "RSLinx can communicate with both". So I'm confused.

- what is your flavor of RSLinx, I don't mean version # but rather OEM, Single Node, Lite, or Gateway.

- What's the device field looks like for a typical tag? It should be in the format of Driver:Channel:Device:Tag or similar.

- fire up the SCU, under SCADA configuration, what drivers are configured?

Last edited:
Plc upgrade

Thanks for the information. Our facility has 16 ifix 3.0 SCADAs. I wish I can upgrade them in the future.
I am not familiar with how ABR work with PLC. I don't know which is the communication driver. I think ABR in SCADA might connect to RSLinx server to communicate with PLC and get I/O data. When I install newer RSLongix 5000, I need to upgrade RSLinx server to in order to see newer PLC. Do I need to install newer ABR to connect to RSLinx? What ABR version is good for ifix 3.0.
Please see attached for more details.

IMG_1793.jpg IMG_1794.jpg IMG_1795.jpg IMG_1796.jpg

Someone who is still running V 3.0 and got access to iFix's Electrionic Book might be of more help. Until someone else shows up.. let's try a few things.

You are likely correct, that "ABR" works with RSLinx. It looks you got LInx Profession which should be fine. What's I'm not sure about is how ABR works, exactly. Does it require OPC or DDE part of RSLinx? I would say that's most likely.

I like to see what shows up when you click on the "Configure" Button in the SCADA Configuration Menu, make sure ABR is selected.

ETA: read a bit into Powertool, it's a OPC Client that iFix uses. The new iFix no longer need this extra annoying step. Anyway, I would click the + in front of ABR in Powertool to expand it out and see what OPC topic it is expecting then check in RSLinx under Menu item DDE/OPC-Topic Configuration to see if the PLCs are still correctly pointed at.

Last edited:
Plc upgrade

I did not know how ABR works, either. It looks like ABR can't run in the power tool. I just notice it stop at power tool. When I hit the run icon. it shows the error"Unable to start driver due to incompatible DLL versions". I don't know what it means. See attached the request.

IMG_1797.jpg IMG_1798.jpg IMG_1799.jpg

Ok, it seems that this PC gets its data from an OPC server on another PC named "PC2" according to IMG_1797. How were you able to get to this screen?

One curious aspect is that it seems you are using a remote data-server. What happens when you tried to ping PC2? Do you have a logical diagram of your HMI/PLC setup?

Another avenue of troubleshooting is to get a OPC test client to see if you can see PLC data from the OPC server. If so, then you at least can eliminate one of the potential problem.

A typical data path goes like this:

PLC > OPC Server > OPC Client

most of the time, OPC server and OPC client are on the same machine but not always. We know with some certainty in your case that the OPC Server is RSLinx and the OPC Client is Powertool.

Let's take a step back, when exactly did the HMI stopped working and what was the last thing changed?