What is ODVA used for? What works with AB Comms?

JeremyAdair87

So I found out the PLCs have a limited number of CIP connections and have a limited number of Ethernet nodes in a logix 5000 I/O rack (the soft one in the explorer window.. I don't know the right name)

This led me to a website after searching forums for ODVA. It seems to have a lot of items on it that talk well with Allen Bradley. Many of them I am familiar with due to contract work.

Anyway, I don't really understand what ODVA is. Its obviously a paid for license type thing for vendors, but I am curious how useful the site is for the controls guy.

One of the biggest struggles I have are getting "Ethernet devices" that say they work with AB, and then they don't really work WELL with AB. I try to work for the guy after me and I like things to be well documented and easy to follow. Quotes end up being cheap and terrible to interface with or outrageously high (cognex?) and very easy to integrate with.

Is the ODVA website a tool I can use to find the middle ground for products that work with well with AB or is there another site that has more products in one place so I can have a general idea aside from the good old fashioned breaking open the manual way of figuring out each device.

The worst part is not knowing what devices that are even out there to compare notes, AND you have to call for a price. You can also ask the distributer in your area but he is going to be a bit bias and give you smoke and mirrors.

The answer is probably sit down and spend more time learning automation products and start with a brand name that I like or has worked well in the past.

Is there a better way or any value adding advice?

Thanks,