AB Micrologix 1500 Major Error Code S:6 = 187h

lowlaywei87

Hi Guys,

Hi Guys,

I am having problems as mentioned above, error message stated as per attachment below:

I/O Configuration mismatch, check module 1. The expansion I/O configuration in the user program did not match the actual configuration, or specified a module that is not found, or the data size for the module is greater than what the module is capable of holding.

Noted that this plc set has been running for years, neither hardware or software amendment was done before.

Really need your advices guys !!! Appreciate it much !!!

Last edited:
Hi and Welcome to the Forum!

Do you have a Rockwell Automation TechConnect Contract?

This technote from Rockwell's Knowledgebase...

32878 - MicroLogix 1500 Base: Faulted with 022h, 071h, or 187h
Access Level: TechConnect

...suggests that your MicroLogix 1500 Base Unit may have a defective Integrated Circuit (IC) component. This component is integral to the processor's communications with 1769 I/O modules. Base Units shipped between week 31/2004 to week 12/2005 are suspected to have this defective component. You can check the date code on the Base Unit's sticker and or the date code on the indicated component itself, which should be clear to view once the processor has been removed from the Base Unit. The IC is near the top on the right hand side. If it has a date code of "418" printed on it then it is likely to be of the defective batch.

If within the affected date range then they do say you are entitled to return the Base Unit for a replacement.

Regards,
George

Last edited:
Hi Geospark,

Too bad, I do not possess TechConnect account. I will try to look at the sticker label soonest.

Btw, I came across some friendly advices of ticking the Ignore Configuration Errors of the I/O cards from its Adv Config. Not sure whether it works or not, will give a try though....

OK, No TechConnect...

The date code on the Base Unit's sticker is not very obvious to the casual eye. It is encoded into a series of digits under the barcode. There should be 2 asterisks characters (**) either side of two alphabetical characters in the middle of the barcode indentifier string. Incidentally, these alphabetical characters represent the Base Unit's Hardware Series and Firmware Revision. After the second set of astericks there should be some remaining digits. The first four digits after the asterisks represent the date code. Two for the week and two for the year...

Example:

4*24AWA**BA**42040195

This would be week 42 in 2004.

The affected date range is inclusively week 31 in 2004 (3104) to week 12 in 2005 (1205). So this example date code would fall within that range and would warrant further inspection of the oscillator IC inside.

lowlaywei87 said:
...I came across some friendly advices of ticking the Ignore Configuration Errors...

With regards to the friendly advice you have received; here is some more...

I am sure that if Rockwell thought that this failure would not affect potentially critical I/O communications, then they would have suggested users do as the friendly advice has suggested i.e. ignore the warnings. But, as this is a hardware component failure, they, I, and I'm sure many others, would strongly advise you to have the Base Unit replaced. The oscillator IC chip is critical to the timing of the I/O update to the processor. If it is not operating as expected, then it could yield unpredictable and potentially dangerous results. At the very least the application may not function reliably or as intended.

But, that is if you can ignore the warnings?...

The "Ignore Configuration Error" feature is more intended to be used when the I/O module hardware is not physically present while developing and testing a project with just the Base Unit. The ignored "slot" is expected to be physically empty. It then allows you to Download and Run the processor without faulting on I/O Configuration Error. It would then be unchecked when the modules are physically present. It is a temporary measure and is not intended to be left enabled on a running application.

If you will note how the error message is reporting a mismatch between the I/O image words configured in the user program and the image size in the expansion I/O module. The IC chip is potentially creating this error condition. This could also be the case if a different module is added to a slot in the program to the actual module in that slot.

In either case, setting the Ignore Configuration Error will not ignore this mismatch error. The processor will still fault with Error 188h - Expansion I/O Module Configuration Error. The slot must be empty or the I/O image must match.

If you are potentially affected by this component failure, then be fully aware of the fact that this is a hardware failure which cannot really be ignored, either in software or in reality.

I would check that date code first before making any other considerations.

Regards,
George

Last edited: