Change Account Network Utility caused Trust Relationship Failure

Saturn_Europa

Wonderware System Platform 2014 R2, Server 2008

I conducted some electrical maintenance today that caused a host server to crash when the UPS died. When it booted back up there was areas of the plant that were in alarm. But the alarm summary screen did not have any alarms. This had happened before and I restarted the application object server and the terminal server and it cleared everything up. I talked to one of our consultants and he said I should try running the Change Network Account Utility. He said to use the same username and password as it is currently set to. Apparently the account can get corrupted or buggy and running the Change Network Account Utility and rebooting can clear up these problems. I was having the same problem on a different host as well so I did this 4 times total. Once for each of the 2 terminal servers and once for each of the 2 application object servers.

When the VM's came up off of reboot I had the dreaded

"The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed"

Not to fear, I signed in using a local account. I took the VM's off of Domain dropped them in a workgroup. Rebooted, put them back on the domain and rebooted. Worked like a charm on the two VM's not effected by the black out.

The other VM's threw this code when I tried to put them back on the domain:

"Login Failure: the target account name is incorrect."

I did a DNS flush and a bunch of other stuff that included making sure the DNS servers where right and the times were not off, but I ended up getting on the DC and deleting the effected VM's. Then I was able to reconnect them to the domain. It was pretty sporting for a friday afternoon. Definitely learned allot.

Is the the Trusted Relationship error common when running the Change Account Network Utility. What is a fix for alarm issues ie.: Alarms are present but not showing up in the alarm summary.

I cannot say about your application, but we have trust relationship issues every now and then for no reason.

We take the pc out of the domain reboot, and then add it back.
the boss says it happens sometimes.

james

I was told that we get them now and then when we use a laptop that wasn't used during a longer period.

Just happened again today.

I found an easier fix, rather than adding to a work group and back to the domain. You can delete the .Local from the domain name and reboot.

Still had to go back into the Domain controller and delete the server's. Because I got the logon failure again.

Definitely having my IT guys look at it Monday morning. They don't take calls on the weekend.

That whole relationship trust issue made me very uncomfortable. "now I'm hearing it from Microsoft..... Great!"