How to use CX Programmer environment

kalabdel

Hello Omron- CX Programmer fans,

Omron PLCs are not my favorite but I have to work with them as they're all over the place and lately I've been troubleshooting more complex equipment run by Omron CPUs and I try to manage as best as I can and now I'm at a point where I have no choice but to learn quite a bit more.

The problems I have are:

- I can't drag windows across two monitors except I think for the watch window which insists on staying on the left side of the screen of the second monitor.

- The symbol names and comments in ladder view are not completely visible so I always need to have the "Address reference tool" window open which is fine except when I'm troubleshooting on site with a laptop and the screen gets crowded pretty fast.

- Function blocks (this is a huge problem):

• In simulator mode or if I'm connected online to a CPU, double clicking on the actual parameter of the block (Siemens' terminology) opens up the block at the start and doesn't point to the specific variable I double-clicked. Not only that but the window doesn't even show the variable table tabs as usual (Input, Output, Internal,....etc). What I do is: In the block call I count the number of actual parameters from top to the parameter I want then go the project view and open up the function block (not in monitor mode) and click on the input variable tab (or output or whatever) and count from top down to till I reach the number I want and click on that symbol and locate it in the ladder and mark down the rung number then go back to the block call and double click on the block to open up the block in monitor mode and locate that rung. That's a nightmare and there has to be an easier way that I'm not aware of and can't yet locate in manuals.
Thanks

Kal

You can only enlarge the whole window and then you can float the watch window if you want.
Go to options and you can extend the number of lines for symbols and comments to as long as you wish.
Not a fan of FBs but yes - that is what CX-Programmer does as far as I am aware. Maybe someone who uses FBs can answer this better for you - they are only used for very few things by me as my customers cannot understand them.

Thanks Bob,
I noticed that FBs were seldom used in the few programmed I'm upgrading. I use them all the time and reuse what I can in different programs.
But in general I am still figuring out it's quirks as I work with it. I still can't figure out where to place the cursor to insert vertical lines to connect or contact or in and FB, why hitting the escape key doesn't return the cursor to normal state (not inserting contacts..etc.)......lots of fun.

Cx-p

I find FBs to be a pain to be honest. Very little reusable code in any of my jobs except scaling, Modbus comms and the like. I do have a standard routine I drop in for reading from diesel generators but invariable something is not available and I just take it out of the code - hard to do with and FB.
Have you looked in keyboard mapping in tools? All the programmed shortcuts are there and you can also program your own. For example to move right to insert a contact I have programmed Ctrl/Sft right arrow, for a rung above I have programmed Ctrl/Sft page up - things like that - really quick and easy - one of the reasons I love CX-P - no need for fancy keys, drag and drop and the like. I can write software much quicker in CX-P than any other environment I have ever used.

Capture.PNG