PowerFlex 525 with encoder - revolutions counter

freju

Hello,

is there a possibility to obtain count of revolutions in PF525? VFD is in velocity mode but I also need count of revolutions to fill some requirements. Encoder is connected and parametrized (1024 ppr) but I only can reach encoder speed in rpm. I can implement numerical integration in PLC but I hope there is easier and better solution.

D388 and 389 are the registers that store the distance traveled in revolutions from a home position as High (left of the decimal, d388) and Low (right of the decimal, d389). You must be using the encoder for something in order for this set of parameters to actively store data, but I believe that using it for velocity vector mode still counts. Keep in mind you will need to use this in conjunction with a Home routine of some sort.

Last edited:
D388 and 389 are the registers that store the distance traveled in revolutions from a home position as High (left of the decimal, d388) and Low (right of the decimal, d389). You must be using the encoder for something in order for this set of parameters to actively store data, but I believe that using it for velocity vector mode still counts. Keep in mind you will need to use this in conjunction with a Home routine of some sort.

I tried doing this in the past but was marginally successful. I was unable to home Via the ethernet connection and had several other issues that was firmware related. This was right when the drives first came out, so i was using firmware versions 1.something and 2.something. Hopefully all the bugs I experienced have been fixed in the last 3+ years.

Thanks for your replies.

I can read this parameters and I see units traveled but only solution I found to reset this (homing) is to cycle power. I cant find any paramater to set home and start counting form begining. There is parameter A561 [Home Save] but it can be only used to save or reset home position on power down.

Do you know any solution to make homing and reset units traveled value?

You could try to map A560 (Enhanced Control Word) as a datalink and use bit 3 of that word (Pos Redefine) to zero the contents of d388 and d389. It is level sensitive so you will need to reset it before d388/389 start to increment again. Also, when d388 reaches 64000 it will stop incrementing.

Keith

Originally posted by jstolaruk:

I was also unsuccessful using the PF for revolution counts.

What issues did you run into? I am currently looking at doing something similar. I was starting to steer away from it because there seemed to be a lot of hoops to jump through and limitations to be had. This post will probably push me over the edge.

Keith

What issues did you run into? I am currently looking at doing something similar. I was starting to steer away from it because there seemed to be a lot of hoops to jump through and limitations to be had. This post will probably push me over the edge.

Keith

It was a while ago; the machine was circular laser welding a hub unto a shaft, we used the encoder to close the loop for velocity control but when we tried to use it for start-stop of the laser we struggled with revolution and positioning. The connection to the HSC fixed the application in this instance.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8fjTwRZpOQ0

To add to this, I had some trouble resetting these parameters to 0 as it wouldn't let me do it via ethernet while in velocity mode, However, I found that I can set a digital input to “Pos Redefine” which allows you to reset D388 and D389