PLC Laptop

I like my hp ProBook 650 G1. I put in 16gb ram. A crucial 500 GB SSD
It has Windows 7. It's lightning fast. I use VMware workstation. The real serial port is icing on the cake. I have $550 in it.

Last edited:
What's best depends on what features you think are most important.

There is no one machine best at everything. It's simply impossible.

For any work that takes more than a few hours in the field I'd like a real screen and real keyboard and mouse. A laptop is really a compromise in almost every way for then sake of portability.

Whatever you get, put your PLC software in a VM

Tried that and never worked. It's so slow I'd rather take the risk of spending a couple of weeks reinstalling software to having to put up with any VM software.

I almost started a thread like this to ask for advice on the best laptop for the battlefield as I have to plug into CPUs in dust dirty environments and it getting scratched up and beat-up pretty quick. I need one that is dust proof, scratch proof and impact proof o_O

Last edited:
Tried that and never worked. It's so slow I'd rather take the risk of spending a couple of weeks reinstalling software to having to put up with any VM software.

When I had an older i7 with 8gb ram I couldn't run vm's either. With a newer processor and 16gb ram I can run them with little to no lag.

I've even got AutoCAD electrical running on a VM, 8gb ram for the VM and 8gb for the host.

I wouldn't go back to the old way.

Last edited:

You should of sought advice. Either you have it incorrectly configured or your using an old steam powered laptop.

VMs work with no problem if set up right.