CompactLogix 5380 Connection Issue

JordanCClark

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi Guys!

I have a 5069-L310ER that I've been using, FW v30.011, Dual IP mode. Using this to route to a 1769-L30ER.

Setting up the Dual IP was easy enough. Figuring the connection path through the 310ER to the 30ER took a bit of trial and error (mostly error), but got it to work.

Then I swapped the IP addresses on the 310ER. Went okay, and after adjusting the connection path, also connected to 30ER.

Now, when I tried to put the IP addresses back to my original settings, I get stuck in a loop. Handy video here:
https://youtu.be/kR5aW5uQa9k

It's doing some SD card activity and appears to pass, Then displays a Major Fault of Type 1, but never gets to the Code number. Just speculating, but I think it's writing an error log to the SD card.

Either way, I can't connect to it to clear or correct the issue. Can I recover it, or did I just brick it? Would setting up a known good system with a different SD card help?

I think usually the type 1 faults are writing to the SD card like you said.

If you open the SD card cover, is there a little pin hole like on the L30ER? If so, I'd power it up with that pressed in.

edit: nothing like living on the bleeding edge with hardware and firmware!

edit 2: You could maybe save the contents of a good one to the SD card with the option to flash on power up, then plug that card into your messed up system to see if it will get you out of that loop. I'd try the pinhole thing first though.

Last edited:
Thanks, Dustin. My age is getting the better of me. That, of course, did the trick. One of those "right under my nose where I couldn't see it" things... šŸ™ƒ

Thanks, Dustin. My age is getting the better of me. That, of course, did the trick. One of those "right under my nose where I couldn't see it" things... šŸ™ƒ

Haha, hidden in plane sight! Just kidding, we used the L30ER's for quite a while before I ever noticed that pin hole.