Running a VNC Server on a Panel View Plus 1250

acampos

Hello, I recently installed an **** Flexy 201 so we could monitor our PLCs (one SLC 500 and one Control Logix) remotely under a VPN.

One of the features that it has is the ability to broadcast the HMI screen to any device with a browser for remote monitoring. This requires the PanelView Plus 1250 (each PLC uses this model) to run a VNC server.

I was using this page to instruct me how enable the VNC it: https://theautomationblog.com/remotely-controlling-your-a-b-pvplus-using-vnc/

Unfortunately when I get to the part where you activate the VNC server, I find the option is grey, not red, which means it is "not available on this platform".

Does anyone know how to get it working?

I believe I read that I can load it and install it, but I'm not sure where to find the program. I found many open source VNCs online that are compatible with Windows CE, but I would like to see if I could get the official Alton Bradly software before trying something open source.

I also tried using the View Point service, but Factory Talk View ME isn't installed either...

Thanks in advance for any suggestions!

Did you enable the Desktop Access feature?

Terminal Settings/Desktop Access Setup/Desktop Access Allow; put in a real password while at it.

Thanks for your prompt reply.

I think the PanelView Plus 1250 HMI catalog number is 2711P...I'll see if it has a catalog number on the back of it when I have a chance. It does run Windows CE, I was able to access the desktop and control panel by using the "how to" page from the link I originally posted.

I have not enabled the desktop access feature, but I will try it out...maybe that will allow me to enable the VNC server.

You'll have to figure out precisely the catalog number and the firmware revision.

In general, VNC was available on the PanelView Plus terminals that also gave you access to the Windows CE Desktop.

I have attached images of the CAT number that is on the labels on the back of the HMI. They have three different numbers on each sticker on the back of it. How would I find the firmware information? Thanks.

IMG_20170426_113542.jpg IMG_20170426_113629.jpg

Last edited:
Your HMI is a PanelView Plus 6 terminal and it is running a Windows CE 6.0 operating system.

Did you enable the Desktop Access feature?
Terminal Settings/Desktop Access Setup/ Desktop Access (press F2) /Allow; the default password is 'password'.

I just Enabled Desktop Access Features and that did it (I was having trouble finding terminal settings, I thought it would be somewhere in Windows CE). Thanks so much for your help!

You can enable the VNC service and make it not read only using a batch file on a USB drive.
In the root of the USB drive place the following into a file autorun.bat:
regedce USB Storage\ResetVi****ly.reg
services register cevncservice
services load cevncservice
services start VNC0:
pause

Also on the root of the USB make a file called ResetVi****ly.reg and put the following line in it:
REGEDIT4
[HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\Services\CeVncService]
"Vi****ly"=dword:0

**EDIT** our board does not like one of the sequences in ResetVi****ly so it's "Reset View Only" without spaces..

Viola it enabled and not read only...your welcome..

Thanks for the explanation, as that was going to be my next step to try out.

I'm concerned about giving non-read only remote access to heavy machinery. I know the end user will understand how to operate it, but it could be a safety issue if the wrong button gets pressed while the user is off site and a worker is working on the machine.

But it would be nice at the same time so the user can access the menus and see more live data.

Last edited:
One last question, would it be possible to have the VNC server restart automatically when it crashes?

The **** service will sometimes cause it to crash the VNC server, and I have to manually re enable it on the HMI. While I iron out these bugs, it would be nice to not have to keep running to the HMI panel to restart the service. Any thoughts?

I doubt it; the VNC server is running as a Service on a Win CE machine; it will not start up even after an HMI reboot; as you've already noticed, you need to exit the FTVME application, access the CE Desktop and start VNC manually.

If you're really into this, you could setup WinCE and start the VNC server automatically at boot time, however, you will also have to setup the HMI to boot into CE Desktop; obviously the FTVME application will need to be started manually after the VNC starts up as configured; either way, one will need to command the HMI reboot when one notices the VNC crash...

It's WinCE Registry ....:D

https://msdn.microsoft.com/en-us/library/ms924527.aspx