Ge Fanuc Plc

sanket_shete

hi,
Im last year instrumentation engg student. ive working experience on mistubishi, messung & allen bradely plc. We ve an old version of ge fanuc plc in our college but we dont have its s/w atleast since i joined the college can any one tell me addressing details of gefanuc plc and is there any freeware available? or from where can i buy a gefanuc s/w?

You can download a demo version of Logicmaster 90 from the GE Fanuc website. Start here: http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/gefanuc/support/GlobalCare%20Transition.htm

You will need to register first.

Logicmaster is a DOS application. The current offering is called Proficy Machine Edition Logic Developer PLC. It is sold through GE Fanuc's distribution network. There are 'Where to buy' links on the website. Follow them to find the address of the closest distributor to you. There are special programs available for getting hardware and software into schools in the United States. I expect there are similar programs in your country. If you can get a copy of the Machine Edition CD, you can install it and run the software for four days without having to register it. After four days, you will need to uninstall the software and then reinstall it to get another four days.

You will probably also need an RS232/RS485 converter to make the connection between the PC running the software and the PLC. I recommend that you contact your local distributor. They have the people who can evaluate your needs and make sure you get the correct components.

I experienced that LM90 demo software is fully working. (However, don't install under Windows XP) If you have an old plc you will probaply program with it.

Instead of the factory programming cable you can use the following GE Fanuc 90-30 Direct Cable

9 pin-F 15 pin-M
Rd 2 --------------- 12 SD+(B)
Td 3 --------------- 10 RD+(B')
Sig.Gnd. 5 ---------------- 7 SG
RTS 7 ---| |--- 6 RTS+(B)
CTS 8 ---| |--- 15 CTS+(B')

DTR 4 ---| |--- 8 CTS-(A')
DSR 6 ---| |--- 14 RTS-(A)

However, its is NOT supported by GE Fanuc

Despite of the fact that this cable doesn't contain RS232/RS485 converter, I experienced that this is really working.
🍺

bangob said:
I experienced that LM90 demo software is fully working. (However, don't install under Windows XP) If you have an old plc you will probaply program with it.

Instead of the factory programming cable you can use the following GE Fanuc 90-30 Direct Cable

9 pin-F 15 pin-M

However, its is NOT supported by GE Fanuc

Despite of the fact that this cable doesn't contain RS232/RS485 converter, I experienced that this is really working.
🍺

That is not correct, listen to Steve.

bangob said:

I've run Logicmaster (including the downloadable demo) under Windows XP. It's a DOS program.
I don't believe that there was an installer program, just extract and run it.

I am going to back up a little. I know I have tried to connect direct to a GE 90-30 and it didnt work. I am not sure if its RS 422 or 485 but did need a converter. Many years ago I had to work with a GE micro or 90-20 that did have a serial connection and used LM90.

Steve, you are the GE pro, do I have the imformation correct?

http://www.geindustrial.com/cwc/gefanuc/support/GlobalCare Transition.htm

I do not mean to be critical, but this DOES work, I use it almost every day.

Code:
		GE Fanuc 90-30 Direct Cable
		9 pin-F				 15 pin-M
	 Rd 2 --------------------------- 12 SD+(B)
	 Td 3 --------------------------- 10 RD+(B')
Sig.Gnd. 5 --------------------------- 7 SG
	RTS 7 ---|				 |--- 6 RTS+(B)
	CTS 8 ---|				 |--- 15 CTS+(B')

DTR 4 ---|				 |--- 8 CTS-(A')
	DSR 6 ---|				 |--- 14 RTS-(A)

My guess is that you were trying to use it with a Series 90 Micro, it does NOT work with the Series 90 Micro, I do not recall ever trying it on a 90-20. I have used it with VersaMax Micro, VesaMax, 90-30, 90-70, and RX3i.​
But​
As stated it is NOT supported by GE Fanuc.​
It is very handy for the VersaMaxMicro with a blown fuse on the 5 volt pin used to power the RS-232 to RS-485 convertor.​

Last edited:
Wish I had known that several years ago. I dealt with either a micro or a 20 so long ago I cant remember which one it was but I dont remember needing an adapter for it. I remember GE wanting $150 extra for expedited shipping of the software.

I have 2 adapters now and no 90-30 left to experiment with. I wouldnt mind doing this for those just in case situations.

Which pin has the 5v on it?

sanket_shete said:
hi,
Im last year instrumentation engg student. ive working experience on mistubishi, messung & allen bradely plc. We ve an old version of ge fanuc plc in our college but we dont have its s/w atleast since i joined the college can any one tell me addressing details of gefanuc plc and is there any freeware available? or from where can i buy a gefanuc s/w?

What you guys have not addressed is that the PLC in question could be older than a series 90. It could be a series 1, 5 or 6. If so they all have different types of software and communication protocols.

The true question to ask is what kind of GE PLC is it?

I learned on GE and liked them quite a bit, got to know that DOS software like the back of my hand.

one little problem.

9 pin-F 15 pin-M

I don't want to seem an idiot but what does these (A) (A') and (B), (B') means?

In 15 pin-M side 12 connected to 10 or 6 ?

Please some one can explain me this cable's pin assignment,
i need it immediately.

mrsenolsezer

I don't have a good answer to your questions but this may help.

Look at RussB's post #7 in the Code box. It is a little clearer.

Everything listed vertically under the 9F is for the connector and its pins going to the computer.

Everything listed vertically under the 15M is for the connector and its pins going to the PLC.

In simple terms:
computer connector 9F pin 2 has a wire connected to PLC connector 15M pin 12

computer connector 9F pin 3 has a wire connected to PLC connector 15M pin 10

computer connector 9F pin 5 has a wire connected to PLC connector 15M pin 7

computer connector 9F pin 7 has a wire connected to computer connector 9F pin 8

computer connector 9F pin 4 has a wire connected to computer connector 9F pin 6

PLC connector 15M pin 6 has a wire connected to PLC connector 15M pin 15

PLC connector 15M pin 8 has a wire connected to PLC connector 15M pin 14

Last edited: