Logix 5000 Using Cross Reference or Find All

showshocka

When will I know to use either one Correctly? Or do I click to use both when searching throughout the logic for a particular tag? I notice that sometimes I when I search the Cross Reference I "find", yet when I use the Find All I find less instances of something in the Code, or visversa. At times, I'm so use to using Cross Reference so much, I have not even thought about using "Find All" and confused myself into thinking that I just sucked on finding a tag. I can use some precise clarification on this. Thanks.

In general, Cross Reference is by far the more powerful tool. When trying to track tags through the code I use it exclusively.

The only thing I use Find for is for things like "find and replace" when I'm doing a lot of copy/paste similar code and incrementing, or if I've got a device I'm really not sure how to find in the PLC, and all I have is half a cable number to go off. In that case, I can search for that string in operands, comments, rung comments - just about anything - and maybe I'll chance upon a reference to it that'll get me started.

Once I actually know what tag I'm looking for, straight back to Cross Reference.

When will I know to use either one Correctly? Or do I click to use both when searching throughout the logic for a particular tag? I notice that sometimes I when I search the Cross Reference I "find", yet when I use the Find All I find less instances of something in the Code, or visversa. At times, I'm so use to using Cross Reference so much, I have not even thought about using "Find All" and confused myself into thinking that I just sucked on finding a tag. I can use some precise clarification on this. Thanks.

It sounds like you are new to the Control / Compact Logix game so as ASF said for the most part just forget search except for a few cases and focus on the cross reference.

The search can lien to you. Search the forum for some of Ron Beaufort's posts on the subject and you will see what I mean. If you are new to this platform just forget the search for now.

I will agree. The Main time that I use FIND ALL is when I am looking for MOV values or COP values. The Cross Reference will not give you that. If you move INT values into the Words. I can get to that location with Find All by because it will show the value being moved. You will see something like this:

Found: Rung 23, MOV, Operand 1: MOV(105, MachineStatus[3])
Found: Rung 13, MOV, Operand 1: MOV(101, MachineStatus[3])

Then by simply clicking on the row it will take you to that location in the program.

Export the project to a .L5K file and use Notepad++

What's nice is when you are looking for something using a pair (or more) of keywords, you search using the first keyword using "Find All", and copy the output of that to a new window and now search using your second keyword.

And if you are a RegEx wizard, it only gets better...

I'm pretty sure I only use find to see if there are any AFI's or NOP's in the program. Every other time it's Cross Reference.