Micrologix 1400 Communication

rmb550

I have a customer who wants to interface his Control System (poorly defined I might add) to the Ethernet Port on the ML1400 in my machine. His spec lists Commands that he wants to send to the ML 1400 (such as CMD_MOVE) that my machine is supposed to respond to. I know I can define an address in ladder logic to perform the task, but I am really struggling with understanding how I get from his Command to toggling the bit in the program. Is there some good reference material I can study to get there? I have gone through all of the 1400 manuals and just can't seem to make the connection.
Thanks,
rmb

We're going to need details on his control system. But his "commands" to your 1400 could just be a request bit. When this incoming bit is true, your code could be written to do something when this bit is true. If your attempting to use the Ethernet port on your 1400, you'll need to use MSG instructions to read the data from his system. That will be the hardest part.

Thanks for the reply. If I had bits I think I would be there. But the document just lists commands. It's that translations from the customers commands to my bits that has me befuddled.
rmb

Yeah, you have to go back to the customer and get more specific details. Ideally, there should be a written document outlining the communication/data transfer requirements with secific details. It won't work if everyone is guessing on what is being provided.