Studio/RSLogix5000 and Windows 10

mylespetro

Hey everyone,

Ran into a problem recently with Studio/Logix regarding Windows 10. According to my update history, I updated to version 1709 of W10 (64-bit) on December 20th 2017. After talking to tech support, I've come to learn that Studio doesn't support version 1709. EDIT: I tried to revert to an earlier version of W10 but that has to be done within 31 days of the major update and unfortunately this happened after that period.

However, we (my boss and I) were using Studio up until late last week, despite both being on version 1709. The problems began on Monday, when we started getting various error messages while trying to both start up Studio (screenshot 1) and starting a new project (screenshot 2)

These are occurring in both Studio and Logix5000, whereas last week the second one definitely wasn't happening. I recall the first one happening but not actually affecting the operation of either program (AB support suspected that was a separate issue). I've tried launching Studio/Logix as an administrator, as well as Factory Talk Activation Manager, to no avail.

Has anyone else had this sort of issue? It started affecting both of us at the same time, so I'm assuming it's an issue with Windows, and not necessarily tied to a specific issue with either machine.

Thanks!

8SjiyiU.png

uyriUC8.png

Your Windows 10 just did an update that isn't playing well with Rockwell. You need to undo the update or Rockwell needs to issue a patch. My IT group is waiting to see what Rockwell might do. In the meantime, I cannot run FactoryTalk View Studio. I was able to get Studio 5000 working by launching it under admin.

Microsoft Windows Security Updates for Meltdown/Spectre Vulnerabilities Impact
1071234 | Date Created: 01/04/2018 | Last Updated: 01/21/2018
Access Level: Everyone

Problem
After installing Microsoft security updates KB4056892, KB4056890, KB4056891, KB4056895, KB4056896, KB4056888, KB4056898, or KB4054517 anomalous behavior has been observed with FactoryTalk based products.

I am on 1709 - so can confirm it works fine.

See this thread.

http://www.plctalk.com/qanda/showthread.php?p=714303

This seems to have fixed the issue. Doing a Modify -> Repair on the Factory Talk Services Platform in Settings -> Apps has cleared both errors for me, and it seems that I can use the program as normal again. Thanks for pointing me in the right direction!

EDIT: It would appear that it was a combination of uninstalling Microsoft security update KB4056892 and then doing a repair on the Factory Talk Services Platform that worked for me. I tried doing a Repair on FTSP on my boss's computer, and I'm getting the errors, so I'm doing an uninstall of the Microsoft update and I'll try again.

Last edited:
1709 update caused major issues on my systems.

Removing that one update helped a lot and fixed the issues with RA software. But 1709 screwed up a lot of other items for me.

I manage an image that we deploy to a whole bunch of different laptops and 1709 is viewed as an Upgrade to the operating system rather than just an update. So the (Microsoft) Sysprep tool that is integral to the process won't run on an upgraded O/S. In addition 1709 wants to add all the crapware like Candy Crush that we had removed previously. Seriously? An Enterprise edition of Windows shouldn't even have those consumer items.

I ended up creating a whole new image based on 1709 and removed the KB4056892 update. But I am discovering all sorts of other issues with 1709 and how it deploys. Still fighting issues with the Start menu. Lots of ticked off IT people right now as MS seems to keep changing how the deployment tools work

OG

If it makes you feel better, OG, the same updates killed Rexroth IndraWorks and Beckhoff TwinCAT3 software.

Whee !

Just another side note, my boss went a different route and installed V27 of Studio (originally had V24.00.00) and it appears to be working.

EDIT: It would appear that he actually installed V23.00, but it seems to have solved the issue.

DOUBLE EDIT: He actually did install V27 but opened an old project that was V23. The program itself is V27.

Last edited:
I got lucky. My version of Windows (on my desktop) is 1703 which MS does have a patch (for the patch that broke RSLinx) and it fixed it. I wasn't able to uninstall the update the broke my antivirus software and RSLinx so I was laptop bound for a little over a week but yesterday that was resolved. You don't realize just how nice it is to do PLC/PAC programming on multiple monitors until you can't anymore.

It appears to not only be tied to Windows 10.

(I running windows 10 experience this, but so do my colleague running Windows 7).

It appears to not only be tied to Windows 10.

(I running windows 10 experience this, but so do my colleague running Windows 7).

That's good to know (and a bit scary), hopefully either Microsoft or Rockwell sorts it out soon.

I can confirm that Uninstalling KV4056892 resolved the issue with starting Studio 5000 (Still had issues with Factory Talk Manager).

To solve the issue with Factory Talk Manager I had to uninstall FactoryTalk Services Platform first, then uninstall FactoryTalk Activation Manager. After that I had to run the RSStudio 5000 installer again to have it install the Factory Talk again.

Now I just need our IT department to block that KB.

FYI, will have my colleague running windows 7 do the same, I suspect that this would help there too.
Edit: My colleague didn't have the KB4056892 in Windows 7 (Only have issues with opening Factory Talk Manager), could it be that the KB number is different for Windows 7?

Best Regards,
Kristoffer

Last edited:
I can confirm that Uninstalling KV4056892 resolved the issue with starting Studio 5000 (Still had issues with Factory Talk Manager).

To solve the issue with Factory Talk Manager I had to uninstall FactoryTalk Services Platform first, then uninstall FactoryTalk Activation Manager. After that I had to run the RSStudio 5000 installer again to have it install the Factory Talk again.

Now I just need our IT department to block that KB.

FYI, will have my colleague running windows 7 do the same, I suspect that this would help there too.
Edit: My colleague didn't have the KB4056892 in Windows 7 (Only have issues with opening Factory Talk Manager), could it be that the KB number is different for Windows 7?

Best Regards,
Kristoffer

My assumption would be that the update number would be different for Windows 7, I don't have a concrete source on that though.

There are multiple updates involve across multiple versions of Windows 10 and Windows 7. Best bet is not to do any updates until you know for sure that your version of Windows is not affected. I'm not sure how you go about doing that, but that's what IT is for.