Temp transmitter (0..150C/4..20mA)

boneless

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
Hi all,

I am looking for a temp. transmitter that can be installed in a 1" or 1-1/4" copper pipe.

I recommended a clamp on type to my client, but he seems to really want something with a small well.

Anyone ever done this?

Thanks and happy weekend!

Temperature sensors come in different styles
- 'clamp-on'
- 'free-standing'
- inserted into a thermowell

Industrial temp sensors are typically RTD or thermocouple.

A temperature transmitter is an electronic converter that converts the sensor signal into a 4-20mA signal at a specified range.

Thermowells can be screwed or welded into a pipe. For copper, a screwed thermowell makes sense. You have to decide where it goes into the pipe so that it does not restrict flow.

Typically, one buys the thermowell with a spring-loaded sensor (I'd go RTD for the low temperature range) from the same vendor. The RTD can wire to a remote transmitter or be installed inside the head on top of the RTD.

Talk to a instrumentation vendor.

Hi Dan,

We typically use PT100 sensors, with head mounted converter. Like these. They come with a well, but we typically weld in a well as we generally are using carbon steel, sometimes stainless. I like to be able to remove the entire instrument without having to drain the boiler/pipe.

This application is different from what I normally see, I suggested a clamp on style because of the reasons you mention, but customer was not very receptive.

I am working from Norway this week, it being after 3 pm, everyone is gone for the weekend. Just asking for some suggestions.

Thanks!

hhkhXn
Here's a couple diagrams for insertion into a Pipe Tee.

Substitute a real RTD head for the conduit 4x4 box and you'll get the picture.

https://ibb.co/diPFk7

hhkhXn
https://ibb.co/hhkhXn

hhkhXn

I prefer to connect PT100s to transmitters instead of RTD input cards. This provides great reaction, resolution, flexibility, and in many cases, economics, It may be more cost effective because it allows for other types of current/voltage inputs to be used on the same analog card.

For PT100s, this transmitter is easy to setup and it requires no special hardware since it uses dipswitches to configure:

http://www.prelectronics.com/?altTemplate=showproduct&id=8628

I'm a bit confused here. Is the problem the mounting of the temp probe or what probe to use?

Transmitter to get 4-20mA could be mounted in the head on the sensor or a separate transmitter. Functionally it would be the same.

Yes, the mounting of the whole unit itself. Piping is small and thin. But got some great pointers here. Thanks again!