Conncet to a CompactLogix L16ER

f16bmathis

I have a CompactLogix L16ER, it has written on it that its IP address is 192.168.1.1. I have gone to RSLinx and added that IP to AB_ETH-1, ETHERNET and plugged in. But at that IP address, it shows not recognized and won't let me connect.

What am I doing wrong?

Thanks!

Your PC has to be on that same subnet 192.168.1.x
Also it may be some other IP address. If it has a USB that would be the quickest way to check.

Check your own IP address first, of course, to be sure it's on the same logical subnet.

Disconnect WiFi to make sure that RSLinx binds to your wired Ethernet.

PING the controller. Put its IP address in a Web browser.

If all those work and it still doesn't show up in RSLinx, then there's something else wrong.

Or, as noted, just plug in over USB and the driver should auto-create and let you 'drill down' to see the actual configured IP address.

Your PC has to be on that same subnet 192.168.1.x
Also it may be some other IP address. If it has a USB that would be the quickest way to check.

USB, I didn't see one, but how would that work? There is one of those square style usb connections...

Check your own IP address first, of course, to be sure it's on the same logical subnet.

Disconnect WiFi to make sure that RSLinx binds to your wired Ethernet.

PING the controller. Put its IP address in a Web browser.

If all those work and it still doesn't show up in RSLinx, then there's something else wrong.

Or, as noted, just plug in over USB and the driver should auto-create and let you 'drill down' to see the actual configured IP address.

I didn't think of that, great idea, THANKS!

The USB connector on a modern CompactLogix is a "USB Type B", like on a USB printer. Just use an ordinary USB A to USB B cable.

Rockwell built a true USB interface into RSLinx, so the controller doesn't try to emulate a serial port or an Ethernet adapter like some devices do. You don't get an IP address or COM port number, but rather a USB connection between the RSLinx Virtual backplane and the controller's actual backplane.

The usual frustration I have with the driver is when I try to use a VM. I only use USB with my native Windows OS.

Otherwise.. "it just works". You connect your USB cable to the controller, and RSLinx Classic automatically creates the driver.

Putting USB ports on the PLC’s with a true USB driver in RSLinx is one of the smarter things Rockwell has done in a long time (and that’s not saying they’ve done a bunch of dumb things (I’m not saying they didn’t, just not saying they have, anyway)). It’s quick and simple to find and get online with a compatible PLC/PAC as long as you have the right version of programming software (CCW, RSLogix, Studio, etc…). Even if you have the correct IP address setup, I’d still use the USB driver. The only advantage is download speed but outside of that, the USB setup is a great way to go.