SLC 5/05 communication problem

Rehu09

Hi all.
I have SLC 5/05 PLC which is kept for years as it is without using. I have been asked use the same plc for testing by downloading the program.

I have seen a solid fault red color on the processor which is showing after switching on the plc. Now, I think it might have lost the program and ip address as it was kept for a long time. Might be battery would have drained.
So, I couldn't bring it online via Ethernet.
Now, atleast it should show up in rslinx using rs232 driver. It doesn't not.
JFI Usin RSLINX CLassic lite 3.51.01 CPR 9 SR 5.1

I went and deletd the rs232 driver and configured a new rs232 and tried. no use.
I'm connectin 1747 CP3 cable to the plc channel 0 and usb converted to my pc.
I never saw any device coming up in rslinx,

Your help is really appreciated

Last edited:
I'm connectin 1747 CP3 cable to the plc channel 0 and usb converted to my pc.

Have you used this USB converter before? Not all work for what you are trying to do. (Brand name?)

Do you know the comm port the USB converter took? Make sure you use this in RSLinx.

What happens when you click on auto-configure?

Sometimes clearing the memory helps.See pdf's

Last edited:
Yeah I have use the same with another SLC5/05 it worked good.
I have checked it is com port 6 the same I have used in ralinx

Failed to configure

I tried doing the same, but same results its not shoiwn in rslinx classic its not getting configured when I clicked auto configured it giving like "failed to find the baud and parity check all cables and switch settings

If you have defaulted the controller you might try setting up RSLinx manually.

DF1 Full Duplex 19.2 KBaud, N, 8, 1, CRC (default settings)

Thank u Tarik,

I have done this all initially, even I deleted the driver which is configured and connected back still I'm facing the same problem could not able to auto configure and also it is not all showing up in rslinx classic

I have seen a solid fault red color on the processor which is showing after switching on the plc. Now, I think it might have lost the program and ip address as it was kept for a long time.

If you have a solid red fault your PLC is bad.... the only thing that will work is try shorting out the VBB and GND as Mickey posted, you need the fault light to flash, if you just lost your program than the red light would be blinking a bad PLC is solid

How do you come to know, when you clear the memory from the processor. Whether it is successfully cleared or not?

When I have cleared the memory by shorting as Mickey said. As soon as I installed my processor into the slot the fault started blinking after a while again it went to solid Red. That's made me worry. What are the options do I have to replace the processor.

My colleague over here is telling once it goes into faulted solid red. it is brand new plc now you can download the program. But Its not all showing up in rslinx how could I make it download.