You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 25th, 2018, 10:11 PM   #1
DamianInRochester
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

RSLogix5000 Copy Tag Values from one program to another

I have two separate programs open in two instances of RSLogix5000.

Each program has a user defined tag that is a large array of a user defined data type.

I need to copy the values of just this array from one program to another. I tried dragging and dropping but it did not work. I tried copy and paste but that did not work either. Any ideas on how to copy these values from one program to another?
Old April 25th, 2018, 10:17 PM   #2
OkiePC
United States

There is a utility call "Tag Upload/Download Tool" but I think it requires a licensed version of RSLinx to act as OPC server. I have never used it but I think it does include the functionality you require. There was a thread on this subject recently in which some members offered other methods...I'll see if I can locate that thread.
Old April 25th, 2018, 10:20 PM   #3
OkiePC
United States

Recent thread:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthr...ghlight=python

Old one with a different method:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=67865
Old April 26th, 2018, 12:49 AM   #4
dmroeder
United States

It sounds like these programs are offline, assuming that is the case, go to the Edit Tags window on both programs. Delete the tag from program 1, copy/paste the tag from program 2 into program 1. The values will come with it.

If my assumption is incorrect, let us know...
Old April 26th, 2018, 04:59 AM   #5
DamianInRochester
United States

Thanks Guys.

dmroeder your assumption is correct.

After Okie's post I figured out that I could paste it in the target tags if i went all the way down to the last row. When I pasted it in it created a copy of the same tag but with all the values. Then I was just able to just a quick program to copy the values from the copied tag into the original tag. Practically the same thing you were suggesting only I didn't have to delete the original.
Old April 27th, 2018, 07:42 AM   #6
danny.michael
United States

You can add a dummy rung in the program you want to copy from, and use one tag from the array on the rung. Doesn't matter what, just one bit will do. Then export the rung. In the program you want to copy to, just import the rung. If the tag already exists, you will need to select "overwrite" from the import dialog. Once the rung is imported, you can delete it. The tag values from the other program will then be in the target program.

I use this method to create tags in a running program. Create the tags in Excel, import into an offline program, use the new tags in a dummy rung (also created in Excel), then export. The exported rung can then be imported into a running program, thus getting around the inability to import tags from a CSV file while the processor is running.
Old April 27th, 2018, 05:07 PM   #7
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by dmroeder View Post
..... Delete the tag from program 1, copy/paste the tag from program 2 into program 1. The values will come with it....
later posts say this works, and is new to me...

handy to know, for the future, thanks dmroeder
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum