You are not registered yet. Please click here to register!

plc storereviewsdownloads
This board is for PLC Related Q&A ONLY. Please DON'T use it for advertising, etc.

Try our online PLC Simulator- FREE.  Click here now to try it.

---------->>>>>Get FREE PLC Programming Tips

New Here? Please read this important info!!!

Go Back   PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > PLCS.net - Interactive Q & A > LIVE PLC Questions And Answers

PLC training tools sale

Old April 26th, 2018, 09:58 AM   #1
AlexDarsigny
Canada

RsLogix5000 Watch Feature

Hi,

I've worked for years with Schneider PLCs. There are what's called operator screens that we can built within the programmation software.

These operator screen acts like the watch tool in RsLogix but there are graphics showing statuses and analog values and it's possible to write into the tags without any adressing since it's basically a watch tool with graphical layer above within the programmation software.

Is there something similar for RsLogix or any other Rockwell software that is able to synchronize with my PLC? I'm trying to avoid the development of an entire HMI application since I only want to test my program.

I have too much tags to check simultaneously to use a basic watch list where I have to scroll to see everything tag I need.

Thanks.
Old April 26th, 2018, 10:23 AM   #2
OkiePC
Lifetime Supporting Member
United States

RSLogix 5 & 500 Professional Editions have what is called CGM (Custom Graphical Monitors) which are useful but the editor is weak. I don't think there is an equivalent for RSLogix 5000. I would suggest using Red Lion Crimson 3.0 emulator but it hangs up when using the Logix 5000 drivers.

You might try out Ignition by Inductive Automation. It has a two hour trial when you download it and run it without a license, but you can just open a browser into its gateway and reset the trial timer and keep going. You have to register in order to download the software, but IA is great about not pestering you with sales calls.

If you are good with Visual Studio you might be interested in Advanced HMI
https://www.advancedhmi.com/
Old April 26th, 2018, 10:42 AM   #3
AlexDarsigny
Canada

CGM is weak and perfect for my need. Too bad it's not in RSLogix 5000, very disappointing
Old April 26th, 2018, 10:58 AM   #4
Ron Beaufort
United States

have you tried using the "Watch" feature - but set it for "Quick Watch" ... it's not perfect - but it might be helpful ... you can set it up for only the tags that you need - instead of for all of the tags in the routine ...

and you might trying going directly to RSLinx (as long as it's not the Lite flavor) and try using the Data Table Monitor feature ... again - not perfect - but sometimes it's handy to float it around on your screen - and maybe you'll like it ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg data_monitor.jpg (55.4 KB, 73 views)

2-B ?
Best regards, ----+----] [----+------------( )----
Ron | |
PLC Training Boot Camp | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Last edited by Ron Beaufort; April 26th, 2018 at 11:24 AM.
Old April 26th, 2018, 11:36 AM   #5
Aardwizz
United Kingdom

If you have the Gateway license for RSLinx, Excel is a great tool for creating quickie process monitoring screens. You can add text where you need it, conditional format cells to change color / style based on values (which makes it easier to spot issues).

Handy when the HMI team isn't done developing yet; or in the field and there's no HMI available when you're connected to the PLC.
Old April 26th, 2018, 12:22 PM   #6
AlexDarsigny
Canada

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beaufort View Post
have you tried using the "Watch" feature - but set it for "Quick Watch" ... it's not perfect - but it might be helpful ... you can set it up for only the tags that you need - instead of for all of the tags in the routine ...

and you might trying going directly to RSLinx (as long as it's not the Lite flavor) and try using the Data Table Monitor feature ... again - not perfect - but sometimes it's handy to float it around on your screen - and maybe you'll like it ...
Yes I know the Quick Watch option. Not bad but meh...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ron Beaufort View Post

Just tried it. It's actually not bad but the write capability is missing and strangely I can only access tags which are structure data type. All BOOL and REAL and other basic data types tags are not there...

Last edited by AlexDarsigny; April 26th, 2018 at 12:24 PM.
Old April 26th, 2018, 12:39 PM   #7
Ron Beaufort
United States

well, then ...

how about the Tag Data Monitor Tool? ... it's too big and clunky for my personal preference - but maybe??? ...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg tag_data_monitor_tool.jpg (74.5 KB, 60 views)

2-B ?
Best regards, ----+----] [----+------------( )----
Ron | |
PLC Training Boot Camp | 2-B |
+----]/[----+

I once was lost, but now am found, was blind, but now I see.

Old April 26th, 2018, 01:31 PM   #8
AlexDarsigny
Canada

Tried it as well, same thing as Quick Watch. I don't get the purpose of this tool.

I guess I'll gave to live with several Quick Watch of a couple of tags.
Old April 27th, 2018, 05:55 PM   #9
daba
Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
United Kingdom

Quote:
Originally Posted by AlexDarsigny View Post
Yes I know the Quick Watch option. Not bad but meh...

Just tried it. It's actually not bad but the write capability is missing and strangely I can only access tags which are structure data type. All BOOL and REAL and other basic data types tags are not there...
You can add ANY tag to the Quick Watch window, regardless of its data-type....

I can only guess what you are doing wrong here, I do it all the time when testing or monitoring, and you can "write" values to the tags....
Attached Images
File Type: jpg 2018-04-27_235433.jpg (46.6 KB, 32 views)
abtrain@tiscali.co.uk
www.abtrain.co.uk
tel: 07506 73 9999
nil illegitimi carborundem

Last edited by daba; April 27th, 2018 at 06:04 PM.
Jump to Live PLC Question and Answer Forum