FactoryTalk View SE ver 6.1 and 64-bit support now available

Operaghost

For the RA inclined, the following updates were released today:
  • FT View ver 6.10 (both ME and SE flavors)
  • RSLinx Enterprise ver 5.40
  • RSLinx Classic ver 2.58
FT View adds the long awaited 64-bit support for:
  • Windows Vista
  • Windows 7
  • Win2K8 & Win2K8R2
  • Win2K3 & Win2K3R2
OG

It looks like there will be some compatibility issues between projects developed in 64 bit enviroments and those developed in 32 bit. This is due to the change from Watcom database to Sql Server Express.

It looks like there will be some compatibility issues between projects developed in 64 bit enviroments and those developed in 32 bit. This is due to the change from Watcom database to Sql Server Express.

I have opened and run a few ME applications created in ver 5.10 and so far I haven't seen any issues.

OG

That's what I'm trying to find out. I wnated to know if i could run a ver 6.0 .MER on a ver 6.1 ME Station on W7 64 bit. No you can't per RA support. They changed the database used in 32 bit systems (Watcom) to Sql Server 2008 R2 Expres in 64 bit systems. This is where the problems come in. Will a Studio 6.1 running in 64 bit import an older app and convert it? Also recreating the project from .MER files has limitations depending on which 32 or 64 bit app created it. I need to read the release notes more today.

These are the restrictions in ME 6.1 regarding 64/32 bit .MER files taken from the release notes

Seems to me, if your target system is a 32-bit OS, you better develop in a 32-bit OS. Period. It can be a 32-bit OS running in a VM or "XP mode" on a Win 7 64-bit box, but it needs to be a 32-bit OS.

If you develop in a 64-bit OS, your only valid target is a 64-bit OS. For new projects this may be attractive, for existing projects you probably need to stick with 32-bit.

So is it going to be the same deal as with 5.0/5.1 where if I create an application with 6.1, someone with 6.0 will not be able to open it?

Well I took an ME project developed in 6.0 and go it to import to M# 6.1 running under Win 2008 R2 x64 bit. I needed to use the database converter copied from the 6.1 install to the 6.0 VM. The converter did something, then I copied the project back to the 6.1 machine to use the utiity again. Then I imported the project to 6.1. So I guess it's possible. Need to keep a lot of backups around, just in case.

Isn't that the way must upgrades work with AB

Touché!

I knew it was a silly question after I posted it. I had hoped that it wouldn't be the case though. Minor revs don't seem to matter on any other software packages. At least the ones tha I use.