AB - Tyranny!

Steve Bailey said:
You can purchase your AB products from any distributor willing to sell them to you....

Or... We (the company I work for) have 5 US plants (was 11) I had one of my partners in NH get me pricing before, just to check how straight and honest my local dealer was treating me, or you can have your corporate office get you a break on the price and better service

Find another distributor, it doesn't matter where they are, explain the problem, and see what they offer.

If they tell you corporate has issue with out of area stuff then offer to have a person very high up in your company (president type title is best) write a letter to AB explaining that he would like to use their products, but that XYZ distributor isn't a realistic avenue for purchasing the products because of X, Y, and Z (be specific). Give the letter to the new distributor and let them run it up the flag pole at AB through whatever channels they think will work.

Trust me this approach will work and you won't sacrifice any special pricing by going this route.

Looking through the replys to my original post, it is amusing how defensive some of you got when I start bashing the allmighty AB. Gee, it's like bashing Chevy at a NASCAR race! Some of you guys need a little reality check.

Yeah, I know they make good stuff, but people do stupid things and I don't care how idiot proof people try to make something, someone is going to find a way to blow it up. That is when I get to do my job. Unfortunately, a lot of other people want to do my job too, so there is competition, especially from AB. Evidently this distributor is so kissing up to AB, that they consider us competitors unworthy as customers (at least this one distributor). Anyway I figured another distributor might be the way to go with this. As it turns out, the fire that was burning that originated this issue is safely out.

I thank those of you who constructively added to this little discussion. I agree that perhaps the negativity was heavy handed, but maybe you would be less than happy too if you found out you couldn't buy what you needed simply because you work for a competitor.

Something tells me that if the head honchos at AB knew what was going on here, they would not be too happy with that distributor... the one in GREENSBORO, NC.

nighthawkjw said:
Looking through the replys to my original post, it is amusing how defensive some of you got when I start bashing the allmighty AB. Gee, it's like bashing Chevy at a NASCAR race! Some of you guys need a little reality check.

Something tells me that if the head honchos at AB knew what was going on here, they would not be too happy with that distributor... the one in GREENSBORO, NC.

Has nothing to do with almighty anything, you did wrong by starting a bash without first learning the facts. Whether a company or a person is this something you would teach a child to do?

Why doesn't your company talk directly with AB and resolve the issue? You took the time to make disparaging remarks, why can't you take the time to go the other way and resolve the issue?

Whether you realize it or not, there are several AB employees that are members (mentors) and spend an enormous amount and energy to assist people here. Insulting the company they work for is the same as insulting them.

While I don't work for AB directly, I do work for an AB distributor (and I did not stay at a Holiday Inn Express last night). AB does get its fair share of bashing, and not all of it is unfounded. That being said, it sounds like you have been led down this path by your distributor, and that is unfortunate. As for going to another AB distributor - it's not a "gentleman's agreement" that prevents one distributor from infringing on another's territory; it's a REQUIREMENT that AB makes of its distributors, to protect its distributors, and they get mighty upset when they catch a distributor doing that. If you find another distributor that will sell to you in someone else's territory, be advised that you are likely jumping from one cut-throat to another. Distribtors that pull the **** that they are pulling on your company fail to realize that they are giving AB a bad name and cutting their own throats in the process. Truly amazing...

BTW: Call your local AB office (not the distributor), and ask to speak to the "Channel Rep" for your distributor and tell him your story. The AB guys tend to get a little bent when they find out someone is blowing off a paying customer; kind of cuts into their incentives (if you know what I mean).

Last edited:
nighthawkjw said:
What an amazing response!

I feel so completely unimpressed!

And you have done what to be impressive? You have been added to my ignore list, which is impressive in a way, only had 3 but you make the 4th in 6 years.

It's been a tough month.

I'm really slow this month. I'm still trying to figure out what The Bird and his company need with a support contract. Presumably they are repairing AB hardware, mostly obsolete stuff that AB no longer supports. The Bird is doing stuff that AB won't provide support for anyway. Just buy what is needed on the open market and move on with life. If The Bird is dealing with obsolete equipment it's not like a software update is doing to help him any.

Keith

rsdoran said:
And you have done what to be impressive? You have been added to my ignore list, which is impressive in a way, only had 3 but you make the 4th in 6 years.

Awww, just when he was getting interesting, he's packed up his tools and gone away! Dangit!!!

Last time I posted a rant on this forum it circled the globe for several weeks... anyone remember CRASH AND BURN???

Well, you Rockwell heads are WAY too easy! Maybe it's subliminal messages in the software... AB rules... renew your service contracts... buy more AB... use only Rockwell products... Siemens sucks...

Actually if all the free AB advice that everyone mentions is so great about this forum really amounted to anything, Rockwell would shut down plctalk.net and file a lawsuit against the owners. I'm not joking!

Well folks, life is just too short and wonderful for all of this to amount to anything in my opinion. It is Spring outside! Turn off the stupid computer and go outside! Get some sun on your face and check out some scantilly clad people of your particular preference! Bottoms up!!!

Nighthawkjw out

Originally posted by nighthawkjw:

Get some sun on your face and check out some scantilly clad people of your particular preference! Bottoms up!!!

It's 45 freakin' degrees here right now. We don't get scantilly clad around here until it gets to at least 60. Guess I'm out of the fun.

nighthawkjw said:
What an amazing response!

I feel so completely unimpressed!

I have dealt with the same AB distributor in Greensboro for 15 years and they have treated me fairly. If you have issues then you need to deal with the source of the issue, whether the distributor or AB directly.

Last time I posted a rant on this forum it circled the globe for several weeks... anyone remember CRASH AND BURN???

At least you let us know your real reason for posting your original message.

nighthawkjw said:
Actually if all the free AB advice that everyone mentions is so great about this forum really amounted to anything, Rockwell would shut down plctalk.net and file a lawsuit against the owners. I'm not joking!

That is quite possibly the stupedst thing ever uttered or written by all of man kind. The entire forum has dropped IQ points having read that. May God have mercy on your soul.

CroCop said:
That is quite possibly the stupedst thing ever uttered or written by all of man kind. The entire forum has dropped IQ points having read that. May God have mercy on your soul.

I have him on ignore, would not be reading it if y'all would stop quoting it. I can not afford to drop any more points.

CroCop said:

rsdoran said:
I have him on ignore, would not be reading it if y'all would stop quoting it. I can not afford to drop any more points.

Is this why my brain started to hurt after reading the last few posts?

Back
Top Bottom