Device Based Alarming in FactoryTalk View SE

stuofsci02

Hi All,

I am using the new ALMA and ALMD alarm instruction in RSLogix5000 V16 and am very happy with them. I have FactoryTalk View SE CPR9 and I understand that it can be setup to use Device Based alarming, so that the PLC stores all the alarm info in the alarm instruction and just passes the data to the HMI.

Can anyone walk me through or point me in the right direction on how to get FactoryTalk View SE to subscribe to these alarms.

This will save me from making tags in View the old school way.

Thanks,

Stuart

Step 1: make sure Logix Processor is at Revision 16.21 or above (NOT 16.3, or 16.7, or even 16.20, but 16.21 and up.

Step 2: be using RSLinx Enterprise for Alarms and Events. In FTView SE Project tree, right click on Linx Enterprise, select Properties, and on the A & E Tab, check off "Enable alarm and event support". Also, on the topic configuration under RSLinx Enterprise, Communications, make sure the topic is selected to use Alarms and Events.

Step 3: Create a display, and drop on it the Alarm and Event thingies from "Objects"

Step 4: Right click on objects, and configure as you like.

Hint: I generally create a seperate topic name for alarms and events.

Redundancy

FTAE will be awesome once Rockwell adds support for FTView SE redundancy. Until then it feels like a tease. :)

Thanks For the Help Guys...

I realize now that I only have FactoryTalk View Studio Machine Edition. It apparently is not available on this platform.

With all the renaming that has gone on I am confused as hell...

Thanks again,

Stuart

unfortunately the ME edition does not support this. But has anyone ever looked at the size of the ALMA or ALMD UDT size? Over 1K which isn't a big deal unless you are using a smaller compactlogix PLC. Faults chew up PLC memory pretty quick when I was experimenting with these instructions.