RIO troubles

Williyb

Hi again,
I finally got back to my RIO problems I've been having. I worked out the programming bugs that I could find and got my discrete I/O working. Kinda, I still have 3 outputs changing states but RSLogix doesnt show the outputs being on. These outputs are not being used in the program but will change its physical states when my BTR and BTW change states (from EN to ER)and then gives a error. Not sure why this is happening and was wondering if anyone evr seen this problem before?
One other problem I see is the BTR never sets the DN bit just the er bit.
I was reading up on the .RLEN and the .DLEN and seen that the .DLEN has to equal the .RLEN or it will give a error. But this value changes from 0 to 8.(This is with a working BTR/BTW instruction on a different panel used as a reference) Why does it change? Not sure whts happening here, any ideas?

Even though the outputs are not being used in the program, have you tried using the output number as an input to a latch? this would then tell you if the PLC is actually switching the relays if the logic latches in.

Hi Jesper,
Sorry I didnt catch your last reply. I was working on it and kept checking back since you were on a trip and I must have missed it.

Here's what I know today,

1.I still "load" the RIO link when I enable the file for the extra rack. When the rack 6 is trying to work it will make the entire network act funny. Its different everytime, last night all stations but one quit. They acted like they were locked up and a error bit was set on the 3 rack. But that might not be good info yet.

2.HSCE 2 DPSW setting match all the rest of the racks and I believe they are all off.I'm not there now but they match the rest of the racks.

3.I do get the start bit then it goes away and then a short error. I just read about capturing th error bit in the 3 word so I'll try that tonight. I also get a bit 10 and 12. Bit 10 doesnt stay on. Bit 15 does.

I even changed all my control block addresses thinking I might have used them somewhere and missed it. Still the same response, I then triple checked my group and slot settings on the ASB. any other selection and it would error the module. Then moved my MO and M1 files, same response. Output 3 on and 6 on the switches 3 and 6 off then 3 back on and 7 on. This goes on all the time only if I have the file enabled in my program.
I have gone thru the six other racks files and tried to find a difference, none could be found. I set up this ASB in another rack and it worked. I know there is a problem where the data is placed,
because I had to move my outputs down one word. IE.. O:0.21 had to be moved to O:0.22 before my descrete output would work. If I follow the pattern with the other racks in the data file this shouldnt have had to be done. Its like I using this rack in 1 slot mode instead of 1/2 slot. All the racks are set to 1/2 slot and all the BTR/BTW are set to slot 0.
Think it sounds like a hardwae problem? I dont, there is something I'm still missing in the program. Tonight I will capture the er bits and find out what they are and start from there.
What I'm seeing by the control words is the BTW isnt setting the DN bit and the BTR doesnt either. I do get bit 14 of the BTR to come on then goes away and then the error bit sets then very quickly goes away. This is when the outputs change like I mentioned above. The error bit happens so quickly that I dont see it happen on the screen. I assumme this could happen? I'll keep beating my head on it and see what I can find.

Bob, I'll also try that latch tonight and see if that works, Thanks for the input, I'll let you know what happens.

Hi Willy,

I really would like you to confirm that the DIPSW 3.4 in rack #5 indicates NOT LAST CHASSIS, and the same DIPSW in rack #6 indicates LAST CHASSIS.
If you havent touched this DIPSW in rack #5, then I think that it could be set to LAST CHASSIS because of the old configuration.

About "Last chassis": Its the logical racks, so racks 2 - 4 - 6 should have this seting to LAST. Racks 1 - 3 - 5 should be NOT LAST.

Hi,
I did change my last rack to last chassis and my 5th rack to not last chassis. I did leave them in test mode SW3-8 on, because I didnt want to keep changing my dipswitches since I leave the 6th rack shut off only when I'm trouble shooting it. maybe this has something to do with the errors but Ive tried changing both 5th and 6th racks to last chassis and not last chassis and see no difference in the operation or the bits for either BTR or BTW of the sixth rack.
What's strange is if I changed my 5th rack why doesnt it react different since I'm telling its not the last chassis anymore?

i had more info added and questions but I forgot to put my password in and it removed my message. This is all I could respond to at this time. Thanks for the help

Last edited:
Williyb,

I haven't been able to decode your lengthy posts above, but I wanted to clear up some things.

First, the "mystery bits". The way that Block Transfer on Allen-Bradley RIO works is that it uses one Byte of the Input data image and one Byte of the Output data image to perform multiplexing of data to device in a slot of a RIO chassis.

When you have a RIO rack slot that contains a block transfer device, you typically refrain from using the discrete Input and discrete Output bits for that slot in your program, because one byte of that Word will be utilized by the Block Transfer function.

Next, the meaning of "Last Chassis". This is widely misunderstood. What a "last chassis" setting on a RIO adapter means is that the device is the last "Fractional Logical Rack" device in a Logical Rack.

It does NOT mean that the device is the highest-numbered node on a RIO network.

If you had, for example, three 1/4 rack adapters, you would set the third one as "last chassis".

Why doesn't that setting make a difference with a 1747-SN scanner and 1747-ASB adapters ? Because it really only makes a difference to the PLC-2 RIO scanner and is immaterial to the SLC and PLC-5 scanners.

I don't know how to diagnose your fundamental problem, but I do know that I would understand it better if you posted lists of rack and I/O configurations... maybe that's in the other thread that was linked to earlier.

Eddie,

I read my previous posts and had a hard time understanding what I was asking too!! LOL

I can see it, I'm having a hard time explaining it.This is my first enconter with AB RIO, I've added a 6th rack to the RIO link and havent been able to get my communications to work properly. My first step I copied and pasted a file, since they were all the same and have been debugging ever since.
What I have is my main rack with the SN card and six addition racks through out the plant. These racks are identical and they are a 4 slot rack with the ASB in 0, 4-input in 1 a 8-output in 2 and a HSCE2 in 3. I only use one discrete input for a e-stop( I know what your thinking, the e-stop shuts all power and air to all my valves) and only use 3 discrete outputs. I use one input on the HSCE2 for a mag meter and instruct my discrete I/O to function accordinally.
I have figured out how to get my discete inputs to perform and my outputs, somewhat working. I can turn these outputs on (O:1.22/0-7) with my program. What has been my problem is output 3,6,and 7 of my 8-output card turn on without any instruction in my program. I have monitored these outputs and they do not show up in my data file. But they do physically turn on. I also use instruction to block transfer my HSCE2 data. If I remove this block transfer file my outputs turn off.
My question is can someone explain how to map my I/O so I can figure out if I'm placing data somewhere I shouldnt be? I dont have my material in front of me right now but, I must have my terms messed up or I havent figured out what they all mean. I'm confused about my G file, these 6 racks are noted as logical racks only? They were set up as rack 0 1/2 slot with two racks in each group( not sure if thats the correct term). since the orginal 5th rack was in logical rack 2 and set up as 1/2 slot I just added my sixth rack and set up as 1/2 slot also. I have been trying to understand the AB manual about mapping the I/O and still dont have a strong grasp on it yet. What I think I know is, on my 5th and 6th logical racks I use I/O words 18,19 for rack 5 and 20,21 for rack 6. To be able to turn on my outputs on my 6th rack I have to use word O:1.22 not 21. In my eyes this shouldnt be, I should be using 21 since I have configured it as 1/2 slot and should use word 20 for my inputs and word 21 for my outputs.

I'll stop there for now, I could tell you all my other bugs but can you help me with this part first. This is where I'm stumpped.
I first thought my HSCE2 wasnt being configured correctly and was causing my entire RIO link to shut down. But to intailize it I have the program jump to a different sub to do so. What I found was, my first BTR wasnt being completed and usually most of the other racks couldnt communicate because it was waiting for this rack to finish.

My BT's are set up to bi-directional continous if the others are finished first.

One more item to add, this system has been in operation for some time now with the 5 racks. I have never had any trouble with RIO. I then have been instructed to add a 6th rack and have since been failing to get the 6th rack to function correctly
Sorry for the lengthy post, I just want all info to be availible.
Thanks!
Jeff

AURGGGGG!

Ok,
I tried latching the error code for my block transfers and only recieved a "0" and a "-9". I couldnt find a -9 error code in the AB manual. Anybody want to jump in on this, I'm sure more than two guys know about RIO. Thanks for all the help so far I just need a little more to get me past this little bump.
I double checked my hardware again this weekend by swapping it to a different panel. Worked fine, but my Block transfers are acting funny.

I also used the outputs, that come on when I enable my file for the block transfers, as a input and they never latched on. ???

From RSLogix help:
"Its negative number can identify this error"
So "-9" is error 9:
"BT timeout – either the SLC user program cancelled the BT or the Series B scanner’s BT timer timed out. Note that a timeout error will occur if a BT is attempted at a location that is not configured for BT operation (e.g., requesting a BT for a location that is an output module."

You swapped hardware. Did you try to swap the HSCE module ONLY. The Block Transfers are targetting this module, so maybe there is something wrong with it.

Sawpped out just the HSCE tonight and it worked fine in the other rack. I then swapped it back and swapped out the ASB. Same result. I then swapped the ASB and the HSCE and they both worked fine together in the other rack. Guess I'm going to have to swallow my pride and pay AB tech or someone else.
Jesper, you interested? I have a modem hook up, we could do all debugging over the phone, my dime.

e-mail me at [email protected]

Williyb said:
Sawpped out just the HSCE tonight and it worked fine in the other rack. I then swapped it back and swapped out the ASB. Same result. I then swapped the ASB and the HSCE and they both worked fine together in the other rack.

Haven't you just proven that the RACK is the culprit?... :unsure:

beerchug

-Eric

Eric,
you are right, provided that Willy didnt change the dipswitches anywhere, only swapped both ASB and HSCE between the two racks.

If Willy did place the ASB and HSCE from, lets say rack #5 in rack #6 without changing dipswitche, then there should be bad comms to "logical rack #5".

Sorry guys I changed the dipswitches. BUT whay didnt I think of that, I should be able to not change the dipswitches and still have comm right? I'll try that tonight.

Not saying this rack isnt bad, but its a new unit from AB, my other parts were bought from some website. Cant rememeber right now, they were refurb units but the rack is new. I still think I have something else wrong, good point though, at this point I'll try anything. Thanks for all the help! I'll let you know what I find.

I could also swap the fith rack and sixth rack dipswitchs so there opposite and see what happens. Or disable my fifth rack and set its BT and logix to see the sixth rack. Hummmmmm,

Jeff