Help with AB micro820

newjersey1000

Hello.
I am beginner plc programmer working in a project at work using micro820 and CCW. Every time a modify the program I have to download the whole program again how can I modify the program without downloading it again. I tried with REM RUN & PROG modes but I can not make the changes directly in the PLC I have to change it in the computer and then download it to the PLC. Any help or suggestion is really appreciated.

Thanks.

I haven't done a huge amount with ccw and the micro800 range save for using them as a cheap serial to Ethernet/ip converter.

I'm don't think you can make program modifications online with the free version of the software, only the developer (and I'm not 100% about that either)

Welcome to the forum!

In AB PLC setups there are generally three different processor modes. When you are doing any work/programming you have to pay attention to the key/switch position for the mode.

Program: The processor is not executing logic and you can freely do uploads/downloads.

REM Run (remote run): This allows the processor to be connected to remotely via a network connection (such as ethernet)

Run: This means that you can only connect to the processor via it's physical on-board programming port on the processor itself. I believe that is USB for the micro820 processors.

In order to make online edits, the processor would have to be in remote-run.

Not all processors support all online edits. Often times, the best thing to do is shut down the processor and re-download, as when doing online edits you are playing with fire. Here is a video that describes how to do online edits with CCW and the Micro820:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CJFVtymaNI

Best of luck in your training!

Welcome to PLCTalk.net

Not sure if you saw these https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kb8wCH2zJZs&list=PL3K_BigUXJ1MV_pr7gnrD63UleKJkwMQs

Its a set of videos on the CCW and Micro800 from Allen Bradley, not sure if your answer is in there but it may help you

If you can do it you will need to be in Remote, some processors have different limitations than others, so what you can do in the 850 you may not be about to do in the 820, also as raffles stated different software may also have a say in what you are limited on

Best of luck!

((EDIT)) Looks like sparkie types faster than me (tonight)

Thank you all

They called me to the production floor and when I came back I already found 3 answers that's very quick . I never expected that .Thank you again .

They called me to the production floor and when I came back I already found 3 answers that's very quick . I never expected that .Thank you again .

Stick around this forum, you will see a lot of that! There is a lot of experience around here, it's amazing the amount of information that can come out of a seemingly simple question.

I haven't done a huge amount with ccw and the micro800 range save for using them as a cheap serial to Ethernet/ip converter.

I'm don't think you can make program modifications online with the free version of the software, only the developer (and I'm not 100% about that either)

Correct. The developer edition is necessary to make online edits. Its also handy if you want to create your own user defined data structures. That's the big one for me.

For a little easier time with your downloads, be sure to add more memory to the Run Mode Change. This is in Controller - Memory - Run Mode Change. If your program is not already stuffing the controller, this will help you drastically on a download and re-start.