Programming cable for CQM1H

kalabdel

I got a quote from our local Omron dealer for a CQM1H programming cable and was quoted for two and not which is the right one and why it's so damn expensive for such old CPU.

CS1W-CN226 for C$202.00 +tax
CS1W-CIF31 for C$230.00 +tax

Which is the correct one and is there a cheaper alternative?
And if I have to buy one that expensive, would either one work for CPM1A?

Thanks

Kal

I have used the following for programming of the CQM1H.
UGreen USB to RS232 Cable. This works with windows XP / 7 /8.1 and 10.
https://www.amazon.ca/s/?ie=UTF8&keywords=ugreen+usb+to+rs232&tag=googcana-20&index=aps&hvadid=208263146850&hvpos=1t1&hvnetw=g&hvrand=257099731315357551&hvpone=&hvptwo=&hvqmt=e&hvdev=c&hvdvcmdl=&hvlocint=&hvlocphy=9000725&hvtargid=kwd-302990586463&ref=pd_sl_6c2s6bz4ed_e
Here is the pin out from the PLC to the USB adapter. Note that the handshaking is jumpered out. The signal ground is pin 9 on the PLC.

Note: The default communication is 9600, E, 7, 2 for the Omron port.

Omron RS232 Cable Pinout.png

Cable will depend on which port you want to connect to.
The peripheral port is a proprietary connector.
The cables quoted by the distributor would be correct for that port. CS1W-CN226 is a serial cable DB9 to peripheral port. CS1W-CIF31 is a USB to serial adapter as has been pointed out.
I won't get into why these cost what they do.:)

I would recommend the cable linked below. This is from one of the forum members who stands behind his products.

https://www.plccable.com/omron-plc-cable-cs1w-cn226-cs1wcn226-serial-version/

Hope this helps.

I would recommend the cable linked below. This is from one of the forum members who stands behind his products.

https://www.plccable.com/omron-plc-cable-cs1w-cn226-cs1wcn226-serial-version/

Hope this helps.

Thanks Jeff and Keith

Kal, we offer both the serial and USB version of the CN226 see the link below, the 1st is our serial version, the 2nd is our Omron set and the 3rd is our USB CN226

https://www.plccable.com/search.php?search_query=cn226&x=0&y=0

Not sure of the pinout on the CS1W-CIF31

Let me know if you need more help

Mark,
CS1W-CIF31 has a standard IBM DB9 serial pin out.
There is a manual for this device Omron W417.

Let me know if I can provide more information.

gtsuport

Thank you... I thought it was something special but just looks like a USB to Serial, we offer a serial or USB version, with the USB version you only need one cable, I guess they are the same as Allen Bradley and offer the old serial cable for their products but offer a second USB adapter so you would need to by both peices that Kal was quoted, damn... $350.00USD ($430.00C) looks like I need to raise my prices

Trust me, you don't have near the overhead :).

I can tell you that if you call tech support and are not using the Omron SC1W-CIF31 USB serial adapter, the conversation tends to be pretty short. As you know, not all USB serial adapters are created equal. This one is solid, works with everything I have thrown at it. Forum member BobB is also a fan of this device.

That said, have never had any issues with your cables either.
Solid products and you offer great service and support!

Yes my overhead is a little smaller :) and yes I have also heard good things about their adapter, but for that price it better be good

Gentlemen,
Mark is correct.
CN226 will work with CQM1H, CPM2C, CS1, CJ1.

CIF02 works with CQM1, CPM1/CPM1A, CPM2A, C200HS, C200HE/HG/HX.

CN220 connects to the Omron DB9 port. Omron has a "special" pinout for their DB9 port.

Hope this helps.

Thanks a lot guys.

gtsupor, re:CPM1A, I think it has the connector like the CIF02. Please see pictures.
One picture is of the CPU with a cable connected to it but unfortunately I didn't take a picture of the port itself but the second picture is of CIF01 that's plugged into the unit and I tried a while back to connect via it using a generic UDB to R232 cable and was not successful. But from that I conclude that both cables you recommended are the ones I'm after.

Sort of off topic: How about the old logo communication cable, got any?

Cheers
Kal

IMG_20170313_120425.jpg digger.jpg

Last edited: