OT: A vent about Rockwell software

Just be sure to not get caught up in the Versioning Nightmare.
As an SI I have 34 separate virtual machines on my laptop right now.
Between Rockwell, Wonderware and iFix the versions are out of control.
I have ever Logix5000 version and sub versions from 13 to 30! Had to make a version matrix on my main machine so I can even find them across the virtual machines. One machine has X.0 the next has all the X.1 etc etc etc.

I understand that end users get sold on new features, but what happened to being backwards compatible? I miss the PLC-5 days where anything could go online with the PLC and make changes.

Flashing is for guys with overcoats in the park! And if I go around flashing customers machines, I'll end up in as much hot water as the overcoat guy.

And if I never see "Not Responding" again I could think about retiring happy. God help you young folks out there just getting started.

I tell you, the older I get the better I like ranting!

There are countries that use the metric system, then there are countries that have landed on the moon, and sent probes that have left the solar system and still work.

I have nothing bad to say about American engineering or ingenuity, but seriously, you have got to agree that the metric system is more logical? ;).

This video is interesting, the USA actually signed the metre convention.

Abandoned Rockwell after RSLogix 5000 came out. So many confusing pricing options based upon what software you need.\

Migrated to OMRON CX-One and Sysmac Studio. These both include ALL software you need for every project. PLC, Motion, Drive Configuration, HMI etc. etc.
All at a reasonable and inclusive price.

Sorry AB, you HAD a great product years ago but are now milking everyone for your bottom line profit margins with a crappy, poorly designed, clunky, confusing and overpriced software suite.

And as for your pathetic attempt to break into the lower cost brick style PLC's with Connected Components Workbench you will ultimately fail. AWFUL software and badly designed.

My 2 Cents

Last edited:
Abandoned Rockwell after RSLogix 5000 came out. So many confusing pricing options based upon what software you need.\
And what type of support you might want. What docs you may need to download.
And how puffy you need your chest to be when quoting a project.
And as for your pathetic attempt to break into the lower cost brick style PLC's with Connected Components Workbench you will ultimately fail. AWFUL software and badly designed.
Didn't they BUY into that cluster....
My 2 Cents
Think that I am at the same bank.

And men riding side-saddle(n)

I don't know what that means... I assume you do not agree?

Please do tell me why you think the imperial system makes more sense?

I am sure I am biased, living most my life in the metric world.

Side Saddle is an equestrian riding style that is *mostly* used by women - both legs off to one side of the horse.
I didn't think that I said that the imperial system is more logical than the metric system. ( I AGREE, the metric system is boundlessly more logical. Just look at a fractional drill index and compare it to a metric drill index!)
But men riding with both legs off to one side would make horse riding a bit more 'comfortable.'

The waggy finger was for 'MEN usually DO NOT ride side saddle.'

Last edited:
Got ya :).

Yeah, drill set, allen key set, english key set, small socket set, big socket set. hell even bolts and glands.

Even the adjustable spanner is different, works the opposite way, guess so you know if it is a metric or imperial one ;).

Voyager I?

Wasn't aware of those... they are older than me though.
However, how does NASA guarantee that the data received is in fact valid? I think it's been proven that control systems that last for decades do in fact exist, but I'm not so sure whether the same applies to instrumentation.

This being said, the fact that it still "phones home" to this day is fantastic.

If other leading plc manufacturers can make a programming suite that will program every plc they make no matter what firmware or age, then there is something not right at Rockwell.
The obvious conclusion is, it is done to please the shareholders.
It is certainly not done for the end user.
As a previous poster said, His software versions are out of control
To you logix fans, imagine software you can buy that can last 10 years without a significant upgrade.

No, we like both systems so much that we have been known to use them in the same spacecraft at the same time (Mars Climate Orbiter). :)