OT: A vent about Rockwell software

Just to add another detour to this post, when people are talking VM's. How does one get started getting licences for Windows operating systems without breaking the bank and buying a MSDN Subscription?

Just to add another detour to this post, when people are talking VM's. How does one get started getting licences for Windows operating systems without breaking the bank and buying a MSDN Subscription?

I've got MSDN, because I need Visual Studio every so often, and testing in a lot of weird versions of windows. The trick there is that I think the licenses are supposed to be for testing/demo, not actual development/use. Could be wrong, haven't read it in a while.

However, I think the windows license is getting more virtual friendly. I thought I recalled that your host OS allowed you to run one (or two?) licensed VMs as well. And if you have lots of VMs but never run them concurrently, it might theoretically be OK just like that. That might have been a shortlived clause, or maybe only windows server, though, I'm not sure.

We are recognized Rockwell SI's but we work with Siemens, B&R, Omron (older stuff, not the new Sysmac Studio), Mitsubishi, Panasonic.

In my (I guess you would say biased) opinion RSLogix/Studio 5000 wipes the floor with all the other vendors software (PLC only).

Siemens are heading in the right direction with TIA Portal at V14 now but it is still so clunky in comparison.

Volume licensing/Software Assurance

In my (I guess you would say biased) opinion RSLogix/Studio 5000 wipes the floor with all the other vendors software (PLC only).

Siemens are heading in the right direction with TIA Portal at V14 now but it is still so clunky in comparison.

How can you compare RSLogix with TIA when RSLogix is less than half of the TIA portal's functionality?

How can you compare RSLogix with TIA when RSLogix is less than half of the TIA portal's functionality?

Which is why I stated for PLC portion only. :confused:

Forgot to mention we do a bit of work with Modicon as well and I also find Unity Pro terrible to use in comparison. Everything seems so clunky.

Ive spent the last 25 years working on predominantly AB platforms. Last 19 working at a Pepsico plant where AB and Wonderware was the norm.
Where I am now is predominantly Siemens and I find it frustrating in navigating and searching how it opens new windows all the time.
Throw into the equation that most of the code is written by Germans and mostly written in German. Im glad Google translate is so easy to use.
Saving grace is I still have some equipment using AB to play around on.

Ive spent the last 25 years working on predominantly AB platforms. Last 19 working at a Pepsico plant where AB and Wonderware was the norm.
Where I am now is predominantly Siemens and I find it frustrating in navigating and searching how it opens new windows all the time.
Throw into the equation that most of the code is written by Germans and mostly written in German. Im glad Google translate is so easy to use.
Saving grace is I still have some equipment using AB to play around on.

Funny you should say that... I find it frustrating not being able to use a shortcut to cycle through routines in RSLogix. Using Ctrl+Tab will cycle through windows, but the code is opened in the same window inside flaps for which I haven't found a keyboard shortcut.

Which is why I stated for PLC portion only. :confused:

Ok... as with Sparksy's comment, I think it mainly boils down on what you are used to and having to relearn things in a different place and most importantly different thought processes.
This being said, after almost 10 years using Simatic Step7, TIA portal is in my view a step back as far as usability goes. Sure it's powerful, it's nicely integrated into one block of software and the way things are set up using the graphical interface will be a plus for someone just starting with their CPU's. But it's nowhere near as robust as Step7 was in terms of workflow and also speed.

Funny you should say that... I find it frustrating not being able to use a shortcut to cycle through routines in RSLogix. Using Ctrl+Tab will cycle through windows, but the code is opened in the same window inside flaps for which I haven't found a keyboard shortcut.

Use Ctrl+PageDown to cycle through the routine tabs forward, Ctrl+PageUp to cycle in reverse.

See the help file under keyboard for more shortcuts.

Use Ctrl+PageDown to cycle through the routine tabs forward, Ctrl+PageUp to cycle in reverse.

See the help file under keyboard for more shortcuts.

I'm a big fan of using only the keyboard shortcuts and never a mouse but this short cut is the worst on a standard QWERTY keyboard.

We are recognized Rockwell SI's but we work with Siemens, B&R, Omron (older stuff, not the new Sysmac Studio), Mitsubishi, Panasonic.

I cannot imagine someone using Studio 5k and then Automation Studio 3.X or newer (3.x about 8 years old now) and saying Studio 5k is better in any way, let alone "wipes the floor" with Automation Studio.

For one, Rockwell didn't support strings until this year
Code:
MyString:= "Some Text"
is only just now possible in Studio v30 with some devices with new firmware. Autocomplete in Studio 5k is utter garbage. Pointers aren't supported. ****, you can't even go from a DINT to an array of BOOL, it's goddamn impossible without doing
Code:
MyBool[0]:= MyDint.0
etc, etc for all 32 bits.

I'll jump on the Rockwell software being a joke band waggon. What's even crazier is they use VxWorks as their underlying operating system on their PLCs and so does everyone else, so all the limitations Rockwell has are artificial. The OS has no problem with any of it, it's just that Rockwell won't let you do it.