Module Change shortcut

trueninjalo

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am using 1794-ABS flex I/O. They are no longer available through normal vendor channels. While I can get them on EBAY, I need to find a more permanent solution. I am thinking I will get the 1794-AENT as I can still order these through our normal vendor. Then all I need to do is change the device in the program to match. Here is where my issues start though.

Can I change the adapter module without needing to readdress tag info the from the modules attached (ie. Local:3:I.Data.0 address)? Will the cards and addresses need to be redone?

Now I know what some may be thinking. Why not just upgrade to Point I/O? Module costs is the main reason. I will replace one flex system at a time with point I/O but I cant do them all at once. I have too many flex systems out there right now using the ABS for comms.

On another issue, when I inherited this "Cluster --Beep--", I found that my remote I/O network is linked to all remote I/Os. I have a plant network that starts with 10.xxx.xxx.xxx the my devices are connected to the controllers via 192.xxx.xxx.xxx and instead of each 192 being isolated from the others they are all linked together. Due to all the remotes, drives, and other Ethernet devices, we are running out of 192 addresses. Is there an easy way to isolate these networks so I can free up some hosts? In my experience, you set up devices connected to a controller as private networks this way you get up to 253 devices per controller. The way it is setup now you only get 253 devices in the plant. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks in advance gentlemen, have a good day.
Anthony

Hi Anthony,

yes, the legacy of 1794-ASB RIO adapters...
I have/had 2 systems with about 40 ASBs in each.
Last year we upgraded one to CLX from PLC5, then used AENTs in all the racks, so we now have many spares available.

My main issue for the other is going to be the cable lengths for AENTs, as some will be greater than 100metres.

So still need to think short term and long term.

Not tried changing adapters over, so do not have a solution for you...sorry.

Can I change the adapter module without needing to readdress tag info the from the modules attached (ie. Local:3:I.Data.0 address)? Will the cards and addresses need to be redone?

Aren't you upgrading from a PLC5 to a CLX? You would have to change the program anyway...

Could be that he is using 1794-ASB with a CLX and changing them over to 1794-AENT...

I have that task to do on one of our machines, where the vendor upgraded only the racks he needed to when changing to a CLX, and left the other racks hanging off a 1756-DHRIO card...

I am new to this plant and didn't realize we had PLC-5s. I couldn't find identifying information about the ASB module communication protocols at at first. After digging a while I finally realised we had PLC-5s. So yes I need to reprogram anyway. Anyway, thanks.