installing a panelview 600 +

rjmarinaro

hello everyone i hope the question i have is simple and easy to understand. i am setting up a panelview 600 + with factory talk view. on my main screen and all of my station screens i am placing a message display. but here is the the thing, it is going to have to display different messages as the machine changes. i would also like to know how to diplays mulitple messages at once. will the panelview display them one at a time if i just use one interger address and move multiple numbers into there at once?
basicly i have many things that are happening at the same time and i would like to display each of the messages one at a time. once a message has been displayed move to the next message that is active. is this going to be complex programming or will it be as easy as using MOV instructions? please help!!!

Rick.

Yes, simple move instructions will work.
If you can, use MULTIPLE Message Windows. Organize them according to your process states. Then for example, in Message Window 1, display RUN,
Message window 2 display "RAMPING UP TO SPEED".
In your program, use states to establish different steps in your process.
Move integers into registers, and this will be easy.

thanks for the info, only problem is i dont have room for multiple message boxs. i already have mulitple message boxes. i need to display multiple messages in this box and the other message boxes that i have. they are going to display conditions of the machine. ex. "device net ok" "air pressure ok" e-stop ok". all of these could be on at the same time. so there for i would like to display them all one after the other in the same message box. if i use a MOV instruction and all of these conditions are true then will it move them in there one at a time and display them one after another?

Yes. You could develop a FIFO block, and display all of the messages in a timer, updating every 2 seconds or so.
(A scrolling timer)
I personally like the FBC (File bit compare)function, where you can monitor a file word group (alarms for example), and display the found bits that are 1.
There are many ways to do what you want, and you are lucky that you are able to control the variables and environment, unlike some of us out here in specific industries.
The most important thing is to be consistent.

yes multi state indicators are avalible. but for the application i am using i would much rather have a messages display. its hard to explain but it will be easier for the operators to read these messages than anything else. i understand that sounds confusing but trust me. i need this to be easy to use for the operators in order to make life easier for me!!!! lol. so that is why i am using a message display. i actually have 4 of them on the main screen because there are four different sections to this machine. and the machine can run six different products. and each section of the machine can be running a different type of product. so message displays makes it easier to tell operator what is going on in each section of the the machine. we use a poka yoke system. those were just examples of messages. there are alot more to display. so that you know what type of part is running in each section.

Here is a pic of some code that would work for you

I am using Ctrllogix, but I don't know what you are using.

FileBitCompare.jpg

This will detect alarms/errors whatever...
Use the output to trigger your message. (You will have a scrolling message box)

Ok, use the FBC command in the SLC 5/04.

Use with
processorsSLC Series C processors
listed below:
SLC 5/03 OS302SLC 5/04 OS401SLC 5/05 OS501(Parameters shown are examples only, your data will vary.) FBC example DDT example
Description

The FBC and DDT diagnostic instructions are output instructions that you can use to monitor machine or process operations to detect malfunctions. If you want to detect a malfunction by comparing bits in a file of real-time inputs with a reference bit file that represents correct operation, use the FBC instruction. If you want to change-of-state diagnostics, use DDT.
Both the FBC and DDT instructions compare bits in a file of real-time machine or process values (input file) with bits in a reference file, detect deviations, and record mismatched bit numbers. They record the position of each mismatch found and place this information in the result file. If no mismatches are found, the .DN bit is set but the result file remains unchanged.

The difference between the FBC and DDT instructions is that each time the DDT instruction finds a mismatch, the processor changes the reference bit to match the source bit. The FBC instruction does not change the reference bit. Use the DDT instruction to update your reference file to reflect changing machine or process conditions.
Make sure there are at least two unused continuous control structures for each FBC or DDT control in the ladder program.

Parameters

The FBC and DDT instructions have the following parameters:

Source

The indexed address of input file.

Reference

The indexed address of the file that contains the data with which you compare the input file.

Result

The indexed address of the file where the instruction stores the position (bit) number of each detected mismatch.

Control

The control is the address of Two continuous control structures. The first control structure is a comparison control, which stores status bits, the length of the source and reference files (both should be the same), and the current position during operation. The second control structure is a result control, which stores the bit position number each time the instruction finds a mismatch between source and reference files.

Operation

These instructions have two search modes. One searches for one mismatch at a time in one program scan, the other searches for all mismatches during one program scan. Both modes of operation are described next:

One mismatch at a time

To enable this mode of operation, set the inhibit bit (.IN =1) in the first control structure either by ladder program or manually before program execution.
With each false-to-true rung transition, the instruction searches for the next mismatch between the input and reference files. Upon finding a mismatch, the instruction stops and sets the found bit .FD in the first control structure. The instruction enters the position number of the mismatch into the result file.
The DDT instruction also changes the status of the reference bit to match the status of the corresponding input bit. The instruction resets the found bit when the rung goes false.

When the instruction reaches the end of the file, the done bit ( .DN of the first control structure) is set. Then, when the rung goes false, the instruction resets:

Enable bit (Bit 15 in first control structure)
Found bit ( Bit 8 in first control structure)
Compare Done bit (Bit 13 in first control structure)
Result Done bit (Bit 13 in second control structure)
Both control counters (Word 2 in both first and second control structure)

All per scan

To enable this mode of operation, reset the inhibit bit (.IN=0) in the first control structure either by ladder program or manually before program execution.
This instruction searches for all mismatches between the input and reference files in one program scan. Upon finding mismatches, the instruction enters the position numbers of mismatched bits into the result file in the order it finds them. After reaching the end of the input and reference files, the instruction sets the .FD bit in first control structure if it finds at least one mismatch. The instruction sets the .DN bit in the first control structure.

If you use a result file that cannot hold all detected mismatches (if the result file fills), the instruction stops and requires another false-to-true rung transition to continue operation. The instruction wraps the new mismatched bit positions into the beginning of the result file writing over the old.
After completing the comparison and when the rung goes false, the instruction resets;

Enable bit (Bit 15 in first control structure)
Found bit ( Bit 8 in first control structure)
Compare Done bit (Bit 13 in first control structure)
Result Done bit (Bit 13 in second control structure)
Both control counters (Word 2 in both first and second control structures)

i was just reading the SLC instruction set help on the FBC when you posted this. so let me see if i understand this instruction correctly:
if i have a error file of: B12:2
examples:
B12:2/0 = press cyl not out (message display number = 1)
B12:2/1 = press cyl not in (message display number = 2)
B12:2/2 = lock cyl not out (message display number = 3)
B12:2/3 = lock cyl not in (message display number = 4)
every time one of these or all of these become true i want to display a message in N36:0(which is the tag address for the message display on the panelview.) so there could actually be more than one on at a time.
so i would use #B12:2 as my source correct?
what do i use as a referance file?
would the result be?
i guess i am not understanding how i would get a 1, 2, 3 or 4 into the N36:0 to display them on the panelview with the corresponding message.

Do yourself a favor, Write a 3 line program, with these elements.
Test it, and configure the elements as you need them.
You are on the right track.
If you really need help, re-post again.