Running Multiple Instances of Factory Talk

garbagegasman

Ok so this may be a stupid question, but how many instances of FactoryTalk View SE can you run on one machine? The reason I'm asking is that we are setting up a new system to replace our old RSView32 setup, and in the old system someone had used a banner on the top and bottom of the screen for navigation. As I understand it, the banner was either made with VB or used with it so that when you click one of the buttons the corresponding screen replaced the current screen on the display that the button was clicked on. Also the banner and the screen would replicate itself when stretched across 2 displays, so that in effect you have two monitors that can each display separate screens or the same screen in the program and the code was set up to detect which monitor you were trying to display the screen on.

While migrating the old program to FactoryTalk, none of the old VB code translates and we haven't been able to make navigation work properly. The new system essentially needs to display the screens across 3 monitors, with each one being able to be changed independently from the others. So the question is, can you open three separate instances of FactoryTalk on one Machine? I've been told that you can only open up to 2 instances for some reason but the person who told me that couldn't give me a solid reason of why that was.

I have set up one of my plant's operator stations (FTVSE Local Station client) with dual monitors. I copy the client file to the desktop area of the 2nd screen, then start both client files. They run independently of each other and it works great. I haven't tried it with 3 or more screens, though. Nor do I know how, or if, this is limited by my license's screen count.