Communication with new Micro820

bigsteve

I have a new AB Micro820 that I am trying to configure. I cannot communicate with it. I have tried directly over ethernet, and through a network switch. I have tried with my serial port (all of that following the directions at http://www.mikeburdis.com/wp/notes/getting-started-with-the-allen-bradley-micro820-plc/ ). I know my serial port is good because I can bridge the Rx and Tx and get data through a terminal. When I have it connected via a ethernet switch, I am getting a light indicating a repeating network collision from the port that the PLC is connected to. I have tried looking for any communication using wireshark, but I don't see anything.

I also tried putting the information on an SD card, with ConfigMeFirst.txt in the root directory, using the following code:

[PM]
[CF]
[RSPD]
[IPA=10.0.2.20]
[SNM=255.255.255.0]
[GWA=10.0.2.4]
[END]

Nothing is working. I am getting flashing green lights on Run and Comm and a flashing red on Fault. Is there something wrong with the PLC, or am I doing something wrong?

I have a new AB Micro820 that I am trying to configure. .... I have tried with my serial port.... I know my serial port is good because I can bridge the Rx and Tx and get data through a terminal.

Micro820's are Ethernet do you have a serial card that you have added?

I have tried directly over ethernet, and through a network switch

Have you tried a router? thats the easiest and is this a new PLC or used?

bigsteve said:
I tried with pins 2, 3 and 5 from my DB9 to the Tx, Rx and G terminals.

I dont think (think) that port is for PC comms RS232, page 57 https://literature.rockwellautomation.com/idc/groups/literature/documents/um/2080-um005_-en-e.pdf

These are the communication protocols supported by Micro820 controllers:
• Modbus RTU Master and Slave
• CIP Serial Client/Server (RS232 only)
• ASCII
• EtherNet/IP Client/Server
• Modbus TCP Client/Server
• CIP Symbolic Client/Server
• DHCP Client
• Sockets Client/Server TCP/UDP

bigsteve said:
Yes, with both a Netgear Fast Ethernet Switch and with an Allen Bradley Stratix.

Both are switches, do you have a router?

If the RED light is flashing that means the PLC is in a fault state.

This is how I work with the Micro820's.

I use the FREE version of Wireshark, downloaded from the internet, just make sure when you run it - you run it as "Administrator".

It will tell you the IP address of the Plc probably something weird, but what ever it is program you laptop to be in that same network.

Then write a simple program that set's the IP setting in the PLC to what you want.

Setup your connection path and download the new program - it should tell you that it is going to overwrite the ethernet settings. (It will also show the fault and allow you to clear)

Now once that is done you will have to reprogram your laptop to be on the same network as the network IP you just reprogrammed the PLC.

Reconnect to PLC using the new IP and download the program again and this time it will ask if you want to run program.

All should be OK from here on.

I found a router - no difference.

FWIW, I've watched a video of someone using the serial port to communicate with a Micro820 - https://twcontrols.com/lessons/connecting-to-an-allen-bradley-micro-800-plc-over-serial-or-usb

Yah I would not believe a damn thing he said... just kidding, Tim is good and knows his stuff so I am sure it would work

Me said:
is this a new PLC or used?

You did not answer is this a new PLC or someone else's headache?

Solved. The old power supply in my office is showing 20V Apparently not enough... I put in a new power supply and it worked right away.

Thanks!

Solved. The old power supply in my office is showing 20V Apparently not enough... I put in a new power supply and it worked right away.

Thanks!

Wow... I would of thought that if it had enough to power it would communicate, thanks for coming back and letting us know