Xmas 2018 Puzzle (3)

If you go back to the original question, it also tells you they sold their entire stock...

Now you have to assume by inference that refers to stock levels of 1MB cards, (a) because that is the only size mentioned, and (b) because you are not told the stock levels of any other size card. Without the assumption that they ONLY have 1MB cards, a solution would be impossible !

EDIT ! I believe I have found a solution ! Just waiting confirmation from the OP....

From my perspective, it just becomes a question of what definitions you're willing to stretch, or what inferred assumptions you're willing to question.

for you point a) I've seen plenty of logic puzzles that have a red herring in there to trick you into making assumptions. The whole POINT of lots of brain teasers is to get you to make assumptions that prevent you from thinking outside the box.

for b) from my reading, you aren't told the stock level of any specific size card, just the total number of memory cards. Is it implied? sure! But to me it was also implied that money received is profit, not revenue, and that price is a single number, not a discount schedule.

I'm not saying your interpretation is wrong, I'm just saying that it's silly to disallow one interpretation when the other "correct" ones are justified with very similar arguments.

I don't believe the original question has been answered..

"What was the price ?"

"the" infers there was only "one" price, but the solution offered disputes that. If it refers to the "lowest" price, and the vendors sold groups of 7 at $1 each, that makes "the price" per memory card $1/7 which works out at $0.142857143 per memory card.

And who in their right mind would pay $1 for seven cards, then $3 each for a few more ? You would definitely seek out a seller with higher stocks.

I still say my solution ticks all the boxes from the original question.

I rest my case.....

I don't believe the original question has been answered..

"What was the price ?"

"the" infers there was only "one" price, but the solution offered disputes that. If it refers to the "lowest" price, and the vendors sold groups of 7 at $1 each, that makes "the price" per memory card $1/7 which works out at $0.142857143 per memory card.

And who in their right mind would pay $1 for seven cards, then $3 each for a few more ? You would definitely seek out a seller with higher stocks.

I still say my solution ticks all the boxes from the original question.

I rest my case.....

Well, LD posted the source for his question, and the "intended" answer given in the source. Since the source itself thinks it was a bad question... everything else is semantics.

That said, yours DOES, as you say, tick the boxes.

I agree that it seems all the cards should be the same price. The original posting stated the “same LOWEST price” which to me makes the case even stronger for one price.

Here’s one more maybe:
Each vendor sold one mystery grab bag with all their cards for the same price.

I've made HMI changes that I thought were obvious but an operator deciphered it completely differently. This has been a great exercise in how different people see the same information and assume and infer differently. This and other puzzles have been very interesting. Thanks everyone.

7 for $1 - Automation Direct, $3 each - Rockwell

(I’m a fan of both A-D and A-B)