Kinetix 5500 with MPAI Ballscrew Motor

Fayced

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi GUy's,

I have a tricky one and have almost exhausted all avenues.

Have a Kinetix 5500 connected to an L71 and the motor is a MPAI ball screw motor 0.3kW. Well 0.25kW in the auto config.

Even in the hookup tests and with no load I can only tune the motor if I run the test at something low like 4mm/sec. Anything above that the test fails via a timeout. I also can't perform a commutation test either as it also times out. Each time the drive does go into "testing" on the display though.

The max torque are set on +/- 249% and I have tried all sorts of tuning parameters.

My first step is to get the motor to perform the hookup tests properly.

I have tried,
New motor cable
New feedback cable
New Hiperface plug
New 5500 controller
New motors x 2

Has anyone had a similar situation?

My fault if I try to run is the S55 Velocity error fault, even with no load. The orientation is vertical and flange mounted and it does have a brake and 24vdc to the brake and you can hear the brake disengage when MSO command.

Had tuning issues before with the encoder plug not properly screwed in, but I assume replacing the cable eliminates this. Other catch-22 is the feedback and command direction both need to be correct polarity or the commands will appear to have been going the wrong way causing the tuning to stop. Is the brake sound you hear the brake releasing or engaging? I ask because it's been opposite for me more than once (power to lock vs. Power to unlock). Bottom line if exhausted all proper setup would be having the motor disconnected from the ball screw to see if it at least will jog without issues. If it is a vertical scenario has the proper size motor been selected to power the load and the ball screw? I tend to initially view the feedback but don't try to index and tuning to before making sure that the movement occurs.

Thanks, I will check that the motor actually does release with power supplied to the brake.

The drive also shares the DC bus and 24VDC and brake power supply with other drives. I will check this also. I have tried ALL of the combinations of motor and feedback direction as I thought that might have been the case.

I also even tried to change commutation angles by swapping the physical drive phases, but ended up putting the phasing back to original.

One other thing to try...completely blow away the drive and axis from your project and then build them again from scratch (don't copy anything from another existing drive/axis).

I was in your shoes once and that did the trick. Afterwards I tried to compare the old image vs the new and never could find a difference, but obviously something in the original image was flawed.

Can you give us an idea of the application? What's the gearbox/drivetrain if any? What type of load does it experience? Usually when I run the Autotune, it's just a tiny bump test of the axis.